Which Permits Do I Need?
Most projects require:
- Business Licence is required for new businesses or a change of location of an existing business.
- Development Permit (Zoning Approval) ensures your structures are allowed in your location and your business is allowed to operate from your location in accordance with the Zoning Bylaw.
- Building Permit to audit project design and construction in accordance with Alberta Safety Codes Act. A Building Permit provides permission to begin construction. Starting construction without written permission can result in stop-work orders, fines and/or administrative penalties.
- Trades Permits for heating and ventilating, plumbing, gas, and electrical work
- Sign Permit if installing signs on your property
Make an appointment through the Edmonton Service Centre to talk to City staff to understand which permits will be required for your business.