Which Permits Do I Need?
Most projects require:
- Business Licence is required for new businesses or a change of location of an existing business.
- Development Permit (Zoning Approval) ensures your structures are allowed in your location and your business is allowed to operate from your location in accordance with the Zoning Bylaw.
- Building Permit to audit project design and construction in accordance with Alberta Safety Codes Act. A Building Permit provides permission to begin construction. Starting construction without written permission can result in stop-work orders, fines and/or administrative penalties.
- Trades Permits for heating and ventilating, plumbing, gas, and electrical work
- Sign Permit if installing permanent exterior signs
Make an appointment through the Edmonton Service Centre to talk to City staff to understand which permits will be required for your business.