Some development, permit, licensing, and construction and inspection services are still operating at adjusted levels.

For interior and exterior alterations and renovations, additions, tenant improvements, selective or partial demolitions, changes to business activities.  

For commercial, industrial, institutional, apartments, Row Houses with 5 or more dwelling units, and stacked Row Houses.

Do I Need A Permit? 

Permits are required for:

Changes in activity in a space

  • First tenant in a new building location
  • Change to the business activity in a location, such as from retail to restaurant
  • Change in intensity of business activity, such as restaurant seating increasing from 50 to 150
  • Moving your business to a new location
  • Installing temporary or permanent exterior signs

Construction or equipment changes 

  • Changes to exterior doors and windows 
  • Changes to interior and exterior walls 
  • Changes to heating and ventilation, plumbing, gas, and electrical systems require trades permits
  • When upgrading or installing new building service equipment
  • When upgrading or installing new equipment (for example, a vehicle-detailing business expanding to include repair; forklift use and its charging/fuelling in a warehouse may require additional ventilation; adding or modifying commercial cooking equipment)

Permits are not required for: 

  • Cosmetic changes such as painting, changing flooring, or cabinetry