Starting May 28, 2021, alcohol consumption will be permitted at designated picnic sites in select River Valley parks. Look for signage permitting consumption. edmonton.ca/alcoholinparks
The playground will be closed for construction beginning in June as renewal work begins. Completion of the new playground is anticipated to be complete by August 2021.
Originally known as Riverside Park, Queen Elizabeth Park was renamed in 1939 by Edmonton City Council to honor the visit by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. The park was home to Edmonton’s first swimming pool, the Southside Pool, built in 1922. Rising costs of maintenance on the aging pool and a crack in the pool basin led to its closure in 2004, and in 2011 a new pool opened just down the hill in Kinsmen Park. The park is now home to picnic areas, trails, a playground and ᐄᓃᐤ (ÎNÎW) River Lot 11∞.
Visit the Indigenous Art Park featuring artworks by Canadian Indigenous artists.
Starting May 28, 2021 until October 11, 2021, responsible alcohol consumption will be permitted at 47 picnic sites across 7 River Valley parks. For a list of sites where consumption is permitted visit edmonton.ca/alcoholinparks.
Queen Elizabeth Park has 1 picnic site available for booking during the summer. The park also has 11 picnic tables available for drop-in (no fee) use. Additionally, reservation site tables that aren't reserved in advance can be claimed on a first-come, first-served basis.
The art park was developed in partnership between City of Edmonton, Confederacy of Treaty No. 6 First Nations, Métis Nation of Alberta, Edmonton Arts Council, Elders and Indigenous artists and community members.
ᐄᓃᐤ (ÎNÎW) River Lot 11∞, pronounced (EE-NU) River Lot 11, features 6 artworks by Canadian Indigenous artists. ᐄᓃᐤ (ÎNÎW) is a Cree word meaning “I am of the Earth”.
ᐄᓃᐤ (ÎNÎW) River Lot 11∞ is situated on ancestral lands of the Indigenous peoples whose descendants entered into Treaty with the British Crown resulting in the territory opening for settlement. River Lot 11 acknowledges the historic river lot originally home to Métis landowner Joseph McDonald.