Please be aware that submitting a claim does not guarantee you will get paid. The City will only consider compensation when it is proven that the City is legally liable for the injury or property damage sustained. All claim decisions are made based on evidence and relevant legislation.

Depending on the type of claim, you may need to provide one or more of the following to prove your claim:

  • Exact date of the incident
  • Exact location (street address or intersection) of the incident
  • Direction you were headed (for example: northbound)
  • Proof of your damage by collecting and submitting all relevant evidence, including names of witnesses and before/after photographs of the damaged area
  • Receipts for expenses incurred as a result of the incident
  • City’s vehicle or bus number, licence plate number, driver name or any information that would help us to identify the vehicle or bus
  • Why you believe the City is responsible for your loss

When submitting your claim to the City, please fill out the eClaims form to the best of your knowledge and upload all relevant documents that support your claim. If you have difficulty using the online form, please call 311 to complete your claim submission.

Section B Accident Benefits

If you are a pedestrian injured by a City-owned vehicle, or claiming for an injury sustained while a passenger of an Edmonton Transit Service (ETS) or Dedicated Accessible Transit Service (DATS) vehicle, you should submit the AB-1: Notice of Loss and Proof of Claim form. The form can be downloaded from the Alberta Treasury Board and Finance.

Be sure to submit your form within the required 10 business days. This form should also be available from your Health Care provider as well as all other Accident Benefit forms.

Accident Benefit forms can be downloaded from the Alberta Treasury Board and Finance.

Please note, Section B Accident Benefits do not apply to a passenger on the Light Rail Transit (LRT) system.

When an Edmonton Transit Service Bus Was Involved

If you were injured or if your property has been damaged by or on a bus or a DATS vehicle, notify the Transit Operator immediately. If you are unable to notify the Transit Operator at the scene, you must call 311 or 780-442-5311 and ask to speak with a representative from Edmonton Transit Service (ETS). If a DATS vehicle was involved, please first fill out and submit your claims form, then contact DATS Community Relations at 780-496-4567 (Option 4) or email

The City will only consider compensation if it was determined that the City was legally responsible. Any determination of liability will follow an investigation of the incident or accident by the Claims Management section.