If you have questions about the claims process or need any additional information that is not shown on this page, please contact the Claims Management team.

Do I need to hire a lawyer?

You do not need to hire a lawyer to submit a claim with the Claims Management section but ultimately it will be a personal decision for you to make. Whether or not you are legally represented does not affect the way our adjusters handle your claim.

90 days have been passed and I have not heard from my adjuster.

The investigation period can take longer than 90 days due to the complexity of the investigation. A written response will be provided to you upon completion of the investigation. If you want a status update, you may contact your assigned adjuster directly, or call Claims Management Section at 780-496-7200.

Why does the City tell me to report the damage to my insurance company? I should not have to pay deductible if I am not at fault.

For property damage, we recommend you contact your insurance company, in most cases they will be able to assist you more quickly and you may be eligible for greater compensation under your policy than you could legally recover from the City.

Should your insurance company feel that the City is responsible for your damage, they will pursue recovery, including your deductible, on your behalf.

I do not have insurance coverage for my property damage and I believe the City is responsible for the damages. What should I do?

It is important that you submit a claim to the City as soon as possible. We advise claimants that it may take approximately 90 days or longer to investigate their claims. In the meantime, you as the claimant must take all necessary steps to reduce the loss and keep your loss to a minimum. For example:

  • Protect property from weather damage, any additional mechanical failure, or exposure to the elements
  • Take photographs to preserve evidence that would support your claim and keep all receipts as proof of payment

The City only considers compensation on damage and/or loss as a direct result of the incident if the City is found negligent; for example, mold is not considered a direct loss.

Compensation will be on an Actual Cash Value basis, in other words, replacement cost less depreciation, if the City was determined to be negligent.

Should you wish to pursue a claim, visit Submitting a Claim for further information.

I am injured and I believe the City is responsible for my injuries. What should I do?

It is important for you to seek medical attention immediately if you are injured, and follow the advice provided by your medical practitioner. Keep all relevant evidence including, but not limited to photographs of the hazard that caused your injuries, photographs and documents related to your injuries, receipts incurred as a result of your injuries.

If you wish to pursue a claim for your injuries, please visit Submitting a Claim for further information.

Does the City repair my damages?

No, the City does not provide repair services to private property, nor provide recommendation on contractors to use.

I have a question with respect to the collection, use, and disclose of my personal information. Who should I contact for further information?

Your personal information is collected under the authority of Section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used to process claims against the City. It may also be disclosed to third parties to verify the information given. Such information is protected by the privacy provisions of the Act. If you have any questions about the collection, use or disclosure, contact the Director of Claims Management at 780-496-7200.

Your website does not answer my question. What can I do?

Should you have further questions, please contact the Claims Management Section, Monday to Friday between 8am and 4:30pm:

Phone: 780-496-7200
Email: riskmanagement@edmonton.ca

Submit A Claim

Start your claim by providing the details of the incident.