External and Intergovernmental Relations develops and implements strategies and initiatives to assist the City of Edmonton in fostering relationships with and influencing other orders of government and external stakeholders.
External and Intergovernmental Relations communicates the City’s positions on key policy issues, articulating its priorities and ensuring understanding of the City’s vision and priorities. The branch also provides leadership and coordination for the City’s ceremonial, protocol, diplomatic activities and civic receptions.
Advocacy and Coordination
- Provide corporate support, leadership and focus for intergovernmental and external relations issues and opportunities
- Support the City’s advocacy efforts aimed at governments (federal, provincial and municipal), other municipal and regional partners and key external stakeholders
- Participate on committees, working groups, and other related forums mandated to address intergovernmental, regional, inter-municipal and key community/institutional stakeholder priorities and issues
Relationship Support and Development
- Coordinate and facilitate relationships and partnerships with other orders of government, municipalities and municipal organizations, and key external stakeholders
- Support efforts to address intergovernmental, regional, inter-municipal and other external stakeholder priorities and issues
Research and Analysis
- Monitor and analyze trends and issues that are intergovernmental or inter-municipal in nature and are of interest to the City, the Capital Region, municipalities and municipal organizations
- Review federal and provincial policy, and legislative and program changes as they relate to the City, region, municipalities in general or other key external stakeholders
- Communicate and foster an understanding of intergovernmental and inter-municipal issues and trends (including major policy changes and milestones) across the corporation