Pyramid icon

Fences or privacy screening higher than what’s allowed in the zoning regulations require a development permit.

About the Service

Two factors that need to be considered when building a fence or privacy screening are its height and location. Both are regulated by the Zoning Bylaw. If the height and location guidelines are followed, no development permit is required.

Zoning Regulations

The height of a fence/wall/gate or privacy screening (excluding vegetative screening) built on ground level should not exceed:

  • 1.85 m (6.1 ft) in any portion of the rear yard and/or interior side yard
  • 1.2 m (4 ft) in any portion of the front yard and/or flanking side yard (longer property line adjacent to the roadway)

Fence/Privacy Screening on Ground Diagram

The height of privacy screening (excluding vegetative screening) built on a platform structure should not exceed:

  • 1.2 m (4 ft) in any portion of the front yard, required side setback, or within 2.5m of a rear lot line
  • 1.85 m (6.1 ft) in all other yards
  • 1.5 m (4.9 ft) when built on a rooftop terrace

Privacy Screening on Platform Structure Diagram

Measuring Fence or Privacy Screening Height

The height of a fence, wall, or gate or privacy screening is determined using the height of the material being used to construct it (not including fence posts or other structural anchors).

The height of a fence is determined by measuring from the general ground level 0.5 metres back of the property line of the site on which the fence, wall, or gate is to be constructed.

The height for privacy screening is determined by measuring from the general ground level 0.5 metres back where the privacy screening is to be constructed or from the surface of the platform structure.

Construction Materials

A fence or privacy screening can be built out of wood, brick, stone, glass, concrete or metal. Using vegetation such as shrubs or trees is also allowed. However, electric fencing and barbed wire cannot be used.

Garbage stand as part of a fence

The garbage cans should be accessible from the front of a garbage stand, not the top. It should be large enough to accommodate your garbage cans, yard wastes in the summer, and your blue bag recyclables.

If building a garbage stand, the stand should be no more than 5 feet high. The floor of the stand should be about 12 inches high.

Garbage stands without doors are preferable. If used, doors should be hinged on the side, not the top. Latches should be operable while wearing mittens or gloves.

How Do I Obtain the Service?

Application Procedure

Apply Online
Create an account, apply, pay and check application status.


Contractors and Professionals


Apply In Person
  • Fill in the Residential Construction Application form
  • Or provide us with your name, address and contact phone number. Include all additional documentation that pertains to the type of construction project.
  • Your property's municipal address and legal description (plan number, block and lot as shown on your tax notice).
  • All application fees

Call before you dig: 1-800-242-3447


  1. A Development Officer reviews the application for an over-height fence or privacy screen using the Zoning Bylaw regulations.
  2. If your application is approved, we will notify your neighbours within 60m (197 ft.) of your property. The notification period, in which your neighbours may appeal the development officer's decision, is approximately four weeks.
  3. If your application is refused, you can appeal through the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board, Churchill Building, 10019 103 Avenue NW, Edmonton, AB, T5J 0G9, Phone: 780-496-6079.
In Person

City of Edmonton
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton AB T5J 0J4

Hours of operation: 8am-4:30pm
Monday through Friday


City of Edmonton
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton AB T5J 0J4

By Phone 311

Permits and fees are only required if the fence or privacy screening is over the allowed height as designated by the Zoning Bylaw

The 2023 development permit fee, if required, is $180, effective January 1, 2023.

Contact the City About This Service

Edmonton Service Centre

Contact Development Services Online


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311