Pyramid icon

Under the Alberta Safety Codes Act and Permit Regulations an Electrical Permit is required to install, alter or add to an electrical system.

About the Service

Permit Requirements

All new electrical installations require a permit, such as:

  • New construction
  • Renovations/alterations
  • Basement developments
  • Hot tub installations
  • Garage wiring
  • Electric Vehicle Charging Station  installations
  • Service upgrade
  • Any other additions to an electrical system, including adding new circuits/wiring for receptacles and/or lighting, repair/replacement of aluminum wiring and garden shed wiring

General Permit Information

  • The electrical installation shall be completed in accordance with the Alberta Safety Codes Act & Regulations
  • Work shall commence within 90 days of the permit issue date
  • Permits expire after one year or if within the year, the work has been suspended or abandoned for a period of 120 days prior to completion

Requirements for Contractors doing Residential Electrical Permits

1) The contractor must have a valid business licence with the City of Edmonton

3) Plans and drawings must be submitted for all installations with a value of $50,000 or more

3) Single-line drawings with all pertinent information must be submitted for service upgrades of 400 amps and larger

Requirements for Homeowners doing their own Electrical Permits

A Homeowner can apply for an Electrical Permit for their own home if they meet the following conditions:

  1. The homeowner must own and live in a single-family dwelling and can only obtain permits for renovations
  2. Apartment-style condominiums, stacked, semi-detached and row housing dwelling units do not qualify; Electrical Homeowner Permits will not be issued for these types of units
  3. Homeowners must live in the dwelling unit and provide proof of ownership to qualify for a permit; permits will not be issued for rental properties
  4. The homeowner must be doing the work themselves
  5. Permits will not be issued if wiring is concealed (walls boarded or dry-walled)
  6. Prior to an electrical permit being issued for a basement development, a building permit will be required
How Do I Obtain the Service?

Apply for an electrical permit together with the appropriate building permit type:

  • As part of a New House Permit application for a new single detached, semi-detached, row house or garden suite. New home plumbing work must be completed by a licensed mechanical contractor
  • As part of a Home Improvement Permit application, in the case of an existing single detached house, garden suite, or a single address on a semi-detached house or row house 

An electrical permit shouldn’t be applied for separately unless the project is limited to only electrical work. Where the work includes other interior or exterior alterations, apply for an electrical permit together with the appropriate building permit. No fee refunds will be given if a standalone trade permit is applied for when trade permits should be included as part of the building permit project. 

To obtain a homeowner's electrical permit, a homeowner must own and occupy the single detached house for which this permit is intended and must perform the work themselves.

Contractors must be licensed with the City of Edmonton. 

Apply Online

Submit the application online.

Apply: Homeowners

Apply: Contractors & Professionals

Email or Drop off the Application

Work Limitations

Due to hazards involved, homeowners who are not certified master electricians cannot do work on the following :

  1. Installing or relocating the main electrical service panel or service equipment
  2. Installing swimming pool grounding and connecting the electrical equipment for a permanently installed swimming pool
  3. A solar photo-voltaic (PV) system
  4. If the home will be used for rental purposes

A permit must be obtained prior to starting any work and booking inspections.

For inquiries and questions, please book a virtual or in-person appointment.


  • After the work is completed, an inspection of the equipment is required
  • All equipment that will be concealed must be inspected and approved before it is covered
  • If the work has not had an inspection but has been covered, the inspector has the authority to request the area to be opened for inspection
  • Homeowner permits may require a minimum of two inspections: rough-in and final

Request an inspection within the Self-Serve Project Dashboard under the 'Inspections' heading, or if necessary call 311.

Find inspection information on the Safety Codes Inspections page.

Rough-in Wiring Inspection

Call 311 for this inspection prior to cover-up (insulated/boarded/drywalled). If the installation is covered prior to the rough-in inspection the inspector may ask for the area to be re-opened.

Call for a rough-in inspection when the following has been completed:

  • All electrical outlet boxes are to be mounted and secured in place
  • All wiring has been installed, secured and brought into outlet boxes
  • All ground conductors have been terminated to the outlet box and necessary splices completed
  • All recessed lighting fixtures are installed and secured, except retrofit type fixtures, and wiring terminated in the fixture junction box
  • You may install wiring in the main or sub panel. Caution: turn off the main breaker before taking off the panel cover and while installing wiring; do not connect wiring to branch circuit breakers at this time
  • Ensure all new wiring is isolated from all points that may become energized and re-install the panel cover prior to turning on the main breaker
  • Do not install any devices such as receptacles or light fixtures, except those that may be needed for construction purposes

Final Inspection

Call for a final inspection when the project is complete:

  • All devices have been installed and connected
  • All branch circuit wiring has been installed in the panel, terminated to the circuit breaker and energized

Underground Cable Inspection

  • Complete trenching and install approved direct buried cable or PVC conduit along with wiring approved for a wet location
  • Direct buried cable shall be installed at a minimum depth of 600mm and PVC conduit at a minimum depth of 450mm
  • Call for inspection prior to backfilling
  • There must be a minimum of 150mm of sand below and above the cable or conduit
  • A marking tape shall be installed at the halfway point above the underground cable or conduit and final grade

Installation Guide for New Residential Utility Service

Booking Inspections

A permit must be obtained prior to booking an inspection. 

After the work has been completed and you are ready for a rough-in or final inspection, please refer to Safety Codes Inspection Services for information on booking inspections.

Extra Inspections

Additional fees  shall be assessed for every inspection requested where any of the following items are found to be deficient:

  • No address on site, building or unit as required
  • Inspector unable to access the building after having been requested to inspect
  • Project not ready for inspection after a request for inspection has been made
  • Previously identified deficiency has not been corrected after a request for a re-inspection has been made
  • Previously identified deficiency has not been corrected when the inspector has indicated that a re-inspection is required and a reasonable time period has elapsed, typically 30 days, and a request for inspection has been initiated by the inspector or City of Edmonton POSSE system
  • Approved plans have not been submitted, if required, after a request for inspection has been made

Temporary Electrical Heating

Although less common than temporary natural gas or propane heat, the option to utilize electric heating sources can be requested by the building permit holder by adding an additional electrical permit in the Self-Serve Dashboard of the project. The subcontractor is not to apply for a stand-alone permit. 

If one 30-amp temporary heater is plugged into a receptacle in a new home after the permanent power for the new home has been energized, then no permit or inspection will be required. 

Upon the temporary electrical permit being issued, the permit holder requests a construction meter from Epcor, the utility provider. Epcor allows a maximum of one 30A|240V heater for each 100A service. 

After the temporary heater and line have been installed, the building permit holder must request an inspection in the Self-Serve Project Dashboard. The installations must meet the requirements of the Canadian Electrical Code and the Safety Codes Act.

Find information about temporary natural gas or propane heat on the Plumbing and Gas page.


2023 Fees

Effective January 1, 2023

  • If you are a homeowner doing your own electrical work - the minor alterations fee is $150 plus a safety codes fee of $6.00.
  • If you are a contractor, check the  2023 Building and Trade Permit Fees .
Notices and Service Changes

New Process For Electrical Service Inspections

Effective November 5, 2018, service inspections for new electrical installations, where there has never been power before, will no longer be administered by the City of Edmonton.

To ensure the continued safe and reliable installation of utility services, service inspections will now be managed by EPCOR and conducted by their subcontractor, The Inspections Group Inc.

Service inspections can be requested by calling 780-412-3772 or by email at before noon for next business day.

For questions on new service inspections call 780-412-3772.

For general inquiries email or phone 780-412-3128.
Service changes/upgrades and emergency repairs will continue to be administered by the City of Edmonton.

Inspection requests can be scheduled by booking online or calling 311. Requests received prior to noon will be scheduled for the following business day. 

For any inquiries in relation to service changes, upgrades or emergencies, please call 780-496-6674.

Contact the City About This Service

Edmonton Service Centre

Contact Us Online

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday (by appointment)


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

Related Information

Contact Epcor Meters for information on service disconnects and reconnects when performing electrical service changes: 780-412-3810.

For electrical service installation requirements, refer to the Customer Connection Guide at