A heating and ventilating permit is required under the Safety Codes Permit Bylaw when installing, repairing, or altering any heating, ventilation, or air conditioning undertaking such as but not limited to:

  • Ventilating systems
  • Kitchen exhaust
  • Residential hydronic systems
  • Heat recovery ventilators

A heating and ventilating permit is not required for:

  • Installation of a gas-fired or solid-fuel-burning appliance, unless there is duct work attached to the appliance other than the combustion air duct. A Home Improvement Permit is required.
  • Chimney installation alone


Apply for a heating and ventilating permit together with the appropriate building permit type:

  • New House Permit application for a new single detached, semi-detached, row house or garden suite. New home heating and ventilation work must be completed by a licensed mechanical contractor
  • Home Improvement Permit application for an existing single detached house, garden suite, or a single address on a semi-detached house or row house


  • A heating and ventilating permit is not to be applied for separately unless the project is limited to only heating and ventilating work. Where the work includes other interior or exterior alterations, apply for an HVAC permit together with the appropriate building permit.
  • No fee refunds will be given if a standalone trade permit is applied for when trade permits should be included as part of the building permit project. 
  • To obtain a homeowner's heating and ventilating permit, a homeowner must own and occupy the single detached house for which this permit is intended and perform the work themselves.
  • Contractors must be licensed with the City of Edmonton.
  • A homeowner must own and occupy the single detached house for which this permit is intended, and perform the work themselves.
  • Begin work only after the City has issued the required permits following a satisfactory review of the application.

A permit must be obtained before starting any work and booking an inspection.

Basement Developments and Secondary Suites

Basement developments and secondary suites require Heating, Ventilation, and Air-conditioning (HVAC) permits.

Some of the key factors to ensure your new space is safe and comfortable are listed below. Consider these when designing your HVAC system.

  • Return air capacity must not exceed supply air capacity. 
  • Flue gas vents and gas lines must not be in the return air system.
  • Depressurization of the basement can lead to radon exposure. It may also lead to improper operation of gas burning appliances.
  • Exhaust fans will help maintain moisture levels and indoor air quality. If you add exhaust to the house design, make-up (replacement) air may be required.
  • An increase in living space in your home will need an increase in outdoor air for the structure. This air must be delivered in code-prescribed volumes to each occupiable space.
  • Your HVAC design will need to show that 22°C can be maintained in all living spaces when the outdoor temperature is - 30°C . Heat loss calculations conducted will ensure this criteria.

Determining Replacement Air Requirements

The information below will assist you in determining replacement air requirements;

The worksheets above are for your assistance only and do not need to be included with your application.

Air Conditioner (Cooling) Permits

If the installation of an air conditioning (cooling) unit requires a ducting design alteration or is over 5 tons (60,000 BTU) in size, both an HVAC permit and an electrical permit are required. Otherwise, where an air conditioning unit is hard-wired into the electrical system, only an electrical permit is required.

If the air conditioning unit is a portable, plug-in type, no electrical permit is required.

GeoExchange Systems (Geothermal)

Find application information for GeoExchange systems on Renewable Energy Systems.

Apply Online


Contractors & Professionals

Apply by Email or Drop Off

  1. Download and complete the fillable PDF Single Family Homeowners Heating and Ventilation Permit Application form.
  2. For furnace replacement and secondary suite applications, also download and complete the following fillable pdfs:

Attach any plans and /or specifications to the application, and email HVACTechDesk@edmonton.ca or drop off at the Edmonton Service Centre

All homeowner permit applicants may be contacted by the permit issuer to confirm identity and residency by presenting a government-issued photo ID, driver's license or equivalent through a video call.


2024 Residential Permits and Fees
  • New construction with an HVAC system (new single-detached home permits)
2024 Planning and Development Fee Schedules
  • New HVAC system for semi-detached or duplex homes
  • Renovations / Replacements / Alterations to Existing Systems



After your project has progressed to the right stage, you must request that a Safety Codes inspector visit your site.

Failure to complete required inspections may result in you having to remove finished walls and / or additional inspection costs and delays.

All required inspections for a project are listed in SelfServe after issuing a permit. You can request, cancel, or reschedule them there. You can also request inspections by calling 311 (outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311).

Review Residential Inspections to learn:

  • How to prepare for your inspection by displaying the address, providing safe access and having the reviewed permit documents printed on-site for reference by the inspector    

  • At which stages to request inspections    

  • How to request inspections    

  • What to expect during each inspection type

Contact Us

Edmonton Service Centre

Hours of Operation (by appointment):
Monday - Friday

Telephone 311
Email HVACtechdesk@edmonton.ca