service image

A plumbing permit is required when installing or altering plumbing equipment

About the Service

A plumbing permit is required under the provincial Safety Codes Act when installing or altering plumbing equipment such as: 

  • Sinks
  • Shower stalls
  • Wash basins
  • Water piping
  • Bathtubs
  • Auto washer
  • Drains
  • Laundry tubs
  • Backwater valves
  • Toilets
  • Backflow prevention devices

You do not require a permit to replace a fixture or maintain an existing system which remains in the same location.

Maintenance means the like-for-like repair or replacement of worn or damaged building components or systems, including mechanical and electrical systems, for their preservation or upkeep but not their improvement, renovation, remodel or upgrade.

How Do I Obtain the Service?

Apply for a plumbing permit together with the appropriate building permit type:

  • As part of a New House Permit application for a new single detached, semi-detached, row house or garden suite. New home plumbing work must be completed by a licensed mechanical contractor
  • As part of the Home Improvement Permit application in the case of an existing single detached house, garden suite, or a single address on a semi-detached house or row house

A plumbing permit is not to be applied for separately unless the project is limited to only plumbing work. Where the work includes other interior or exterior alterations, apply for a plumbing permit together with the appropriate building permit.

No fee refunds will be given if a standalone trade permit is applied for when trade permits should be included as part of the building permit project. 

To obtain a homeowners plumbing permit, a homeowner must own and occupy the single detached house for which this permit is intended and perform the work themselves.

Contractors must be licensed with the City of Edmonton.

Apply Online

Submit the application online.

Apply: Homeowners

Apply: Contractors & Professionals

Email or Drop off the Application

A permit must be obtained prior to starting any work and booking an inspection.

For inquiries and questions, please book a virtual or in-person appointment.


  • After the work is completed, an inspection of the equipment is required
  • All equipment that will be concealed must be inspected and approved before it is covered
  • If the work has not had an inspection but has been covered, the inspector has the authority to request the area to be opened for inspection

Request an inspection within the SelfServe project dashboard under the 'Inspections' heading, or if necessary, call 311.

Find inspection information on the Safety Codes inspection services web page.

In Person

City of Edmonton
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4

By Phone 311

For new single-family home construction:

For new duplex or semi-detached construction and for any other types of residential plumbing:

  • Effective January 1, 2023, $115 per address or unit, plus a minimum $4.50 Safety Code Fee
Contact the City About This Service

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation (by appointment):

Monday - Friday


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311