service image

A gas permit is required when installing, altering or relocating natural gas equipment.

About the Service

A gas permit is required under the provincial Safety Codes Act when installing, altering or relocating gas equipment such as: furnaces, water heaters, meters, piping and lines, dryers, BBQs, garage heaters, ranges, patio heaters, fireplaces, space heaters, and fire pits.

Line Types and Requirements

New Gas Line: Before a gas metre can be installed the new gas lines require a successful inspection.

  • Primary Gas Line: An accessory building shall not be constructed over a primary natural gas service line.  For more information or relocation, call ATCO Utilities at 780-424-5222.
  • Restoring Gas to a Metre: Before the gas service is restored to an existing gas line that has been shut off for six or more months, a re-test is required, which must be inspected and approved by a City inspector. A bonded and licensed contractor must be contacted first to assess the gas line.


A homeowner may not install a new gas line. Only a qualified contractor may do the work.

A primary gas line can not be located under an accessory building.

A homeowner can only apply for a permit for re-testing of an existing gas system if they meet all the following criteria:

  • The gas line is in a single-family home
  • The applicant lives in the home
  • The applicant is the owner of the home
How Do I Obtain the Service?

Apply for a gas permit together with the appropriate building permit type:

  • As part of a New House Permit application for a new single detached, semi-detached, row house or garden suite. New home gas work must be completed by a licensed mechanical contractor
  • As part of a Home Improvement Permit application, in the case of an existing single detached house, garden suite, or a single address on a semi-detached house or row house

A gas permit is not to be applied for separately unless the project is limited to only gas work. Where the work includes other interior or exterior alterations, apply for a plumbing permit together with the appropriate building permit.

No fee refunds will be given if a standalone trade permit is applied for when trade permits should be included as part of the building permit project. 

Contractors must be licensed with the City of Edmonton. 

Apply Online

Submit the application online.

Apply: Homeowners

Apply: Contractors & Professionals

Email or Drop off the Application

  • Attach a detailed drawing with piping layout, including fitting descriptions and sizing, and any specifications to the completed application, and 
  • All homeowner permit applicants may be contacted by the permit issuer to confirm identity and residency by presenting a government-issued photo ID, driver's licence or equivalent through a video call.
  • A homeowner gas permit is for renovations and or re-test of an existing gas system in a single detached house only. New home gas work must be completed by a licensed mechanical contractor. To apply, a homeowner must own and occupy the single detached house for which this permit is intended and perform the work themselves.  
  • Begin work only after the City of Edmonton has issued the required permits following a satisfactory review of the application.
  • Request an inspection within the Self-Serve Project Dashboard under the 'Inspections' heading, or if necessary, call 311.

A permit must be applied for and issued prior to starting any work and requesting an inspection.

For inquiries and questions, please book a virtual or in-person appointment


After your project has progressed to the right stage, you must request that a Safety Codes inspector visit your site.

Failure to complete required inspections may result in you having to remove finished walls and/or additional inspection costs and delays.

All required inspections for a project are listed in SelfServe after issuing a permit. You can request, cancel, or reschedule them there. You can also request inspections by calling 311 (outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311).

Review the Residential Inspections page to learn:

  • How to prepare for your inspection by displaying the address, providing safe access and having the reviewed permit documents printed on site for reference by the inspector 
  • At which stages to request inspections
  • How to request inspections
  • What to expect during each inspection type

Temporary Heat on Construction Sites

Temporary heat permits are required for temporary heat sources on construction sites. Permits allow the use of natural gas, propane or electricity to be used as a temporary heating source. The permit holder is responsible for ensuring that only approved equipment is installed by a certified installer in a safe manner.

Permits are to be applied for in conjunction with the applicable building permit. The subcontractor is not to apply for a standalone permit unless a rental company is managing the setup/installation/rental of the entire system.

Temporary Gas Permit Option (Natural Gas or Propane)

The temporary gas permit option can be included in the building permit application for a commercial final permit and is automatically available in a new house permit application. The subcontractor is not to apply for a standalone permit unless it is a rental company that is managing the setup/installation/rental of the entire system. In that case, they may apply for a standalone gas permit.

Like all other trade permits, this permit will be listed in the project Self-Serve Dashboard under the applicable building permit. If this permit was not selected at the time of permit application, it can be added later with applicable fees.

If natural gas or propane is the fuel source, a gas fitter must be assigned to the permit as these installations fall under the requirements of the B149.1 gas code.

This is a requirement even if using a quick-connect system for temporary heating appliances. The building permit holder needs to manage this temporary heat permit and assign it to the chosen subcontractor. The subcontractor will be automatically notified and asked to complete some permit application details, including the fuel type. 

Once the trade permit application is completed and submitted, City staff will review and issue the permit. 

If you are constructing a garage or garden suite and require a different heating source due to site limitations, a standalone temporary heat permit would be required for that installation. 

If you are having a different fuel source at the onset of your build and anticipate switching to natural gas as the proprietary heating source when the service becomes available to that property, you will require a standalone permit for the first installation of heating equipment.

Temporary Natural Gas 

After the temporary gas permit is issued, the permit holder requests a construction meter from ATCO, the utility provider. Once the temporary heater and lines have been installed, the building permit holder is to request an inspection in the Self-Serve Dashboard of the project. The temporary gas system (propane or natural gas) can be energized without waiting for an inspection of the work. Inspections must be requested for all installations. Failure to follow permit conditions may result in penalties.

Temporary Propane

After the temporary gas permit has been issued, the temporary heat source may be installed. The gas system (propane or natural gas) can be energized without waiting for an inspection of the work. Inspections must be requested for all installations. Failure to follow permit conditions may result in penalties. 

Please note: 

  • Propane tanks, cylinders and hoses must be protected from vehicles and moving equipment through the placement of approved barriers
  • Propane cylinders must always remain upright and must be moved by using designated equipment and methods; and 
  • Placement of propane tanks and cylinders must comply with clearance requirements from doors or windows, property lines and ignition sources

After the temporary heater, lines and tank have been installed, the building permit holder must request an inspection in the Self-Serve Dashboard of the project. Installations must meet the applicable requirements of the CSA B149 Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code and the Safety Codes Act.

The Safety Codes Council provides additional information on temporary propane heat:

Violations and Infractions 

A temporary construction meter is a privileged arrangement between the City of Edmonton and the utility provider. The City or the utility provider reserves the right to suspend temporary meter privileges for 90 days for a first-time offence and 180 days for repeat offences if an installation is found to violate the requirements listed above. 

Common infractions include but are not limited to: 

  • Crossing property lines with equipment supply piping 
  • Failing to adequately protect gas equipment supply lines 
  • Installations by non-certified installers 
  • Unsafe electrical connections 
  • Failing to call inspections 
  • Failing to obtain permits 

We recognize that a row house or multi-storey building may require temporary connections that may be susceptible to crossing property lines within the predetermined utility corridor from a set of banked meters. Each line is to terminate at a heating appliance or, in the case of a multi-storey building, at a manifold with shutoff valves for each outlet. 

For information about the temporary electric heat permit option, review the Electrical page.

In Person

City of Edmonton
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4

By Phone 311

For Single Detached Homes:

  • For new home construction:
    For any new gas work being done for a new single-family home, the permit fees are included in the ​   2024 Residential Permits and Fees effective January 1, 2024.
  • For existing home renovations:
    2024-All residential permits issued outside of the “House Combo Permit” regardless of scope, the fee is $115 plus a $4.60 safety code fee, effective until December 31, 2024.

For Semi-Detached and Duplexes:

For new construction, fees are based on construction value

2024 Fees (effective January 1, 2024)

Construction Value: Fee  

$0 to $20,000: $180 (1 meter set)  

$20,001 to $500,000: $260 (1 meter set)

$500,001 to $1,000,000: $350 (1 meter set)

$1,000,001 to $5,000,000: $525 (1 meter set)

$5,000,001 plus: $870 (1 meter set)

Each additional meter set $47

Minimum fee of $180/unit or address

The safety codes fee is 4% of the permit cost, minimum $4.50 - maximum $560/permit.

For existing home renovations: $115, plus the $4.60 safety code fee.

Note: These fees apply for commercial and industrial buildings and are for each individual unit in a multi-family dwelling.

Contact the City About This Service

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation (by appointment):

Monday - Friday


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311