Starting on Tuesday, September 5, 2023, the south Rainbow Valley Road parking lot will be closed for approximately 6 weeks. The parking lot is being expanded to provide overflow parking for Snow Valley Ski Hill, since the current designated overflow parking lot will be closed next year due to construction.
Upgrades to the Whitemud Drive/Terwillegar Drive interchange are a part of the Terwillegar Drive Expansion Program.
Construction Update - Spring 2023
Construction for the Terwillegar Drive Expansion includes widening Whitemud Drive between Terwillegar Drive and 122 Street, and the rehabilitation and widening of the Rainbow Valley Bridges. The rehabilitation and widening of the Rainbow Valley Bridges began in May 2023.
During construction, 2 lanes of traffic will remain open on Whitemud Drive in each direction during peak periods. There will be traffic flow impacts during off-peak hours.
Site preparations began in January with the removal of trees along Whitemud Drive. Trees are a highly valued asset and are only removed when all other preservation options are not possible. As part of the Urban Forest Management Plan, the City will plant new trees and shrubs in the project area once construction is complete.
About the Project
Stage Two builds on Stage One, including additional upgrades to increase the capacity of Terwillegar Drive, improve safety, accommodate current and planned transit services and enhance existing active transportation connections:
- Rehabilitating and widening the Rainbow Valley Bridge to 4 lanes in each direction
- Whitemud Drive/Terwillegar Drive interchange upgrades:
- Widening the westbound Whitemud Drive to southbound Terwillegar Drive loop ramp
- Widening the northbound Terwillegar Drive to eastbound Whitemud Drive ramp
- Partial ramp widening: northbound Terwillegar Drive to northbound Whitemud Drive and southbound Whitemud Drive to southbound Terwillegar Drive
- Whitemud Drive widening to 4 lanes in each direction between Terwillegar Drive and 122 Street
- A bus-only lane from 53 Avenue to Terwillegar Drive, bypassing the Terwillegar Drive / Whitemud Drive interchange
- Active transportation:
- A new pedestrian/cyclist bridge adjacent to the westbound lanes of the Rainbow Valley Bridge
- Shared-use path upgrades from 122 Street to 142 Street
- A new pedestrian/cyclist bridge over Whitemud Drive near 142 Street
- Retaining walls
- Noise wall (southbound Whitemud Drive, 47A Avenue to 45 Avenue)
- Tree impacts and preservation
Stage Two is funded by the City of Edmonton through the 2019-2022 Capital Budget and in partnership with the Government of Alberta.
- Terwillegar Drive/Whitemud Drive interchange upgrades, Whitemud Drive widening and upgrades, widening/rehabilitating the Rainbow Valley Bridges, new pedestrian/cyclist bridge over Rainbow Valley : City of Edmonton
- Bus-only lane from 53 Avenue to Terwillegar Drive: Province of Alberta
- New Pedestrian/cyclist bridge over Whitemud Drive, near 142 Street: Province of Alberta