Road right-of-way defines the use of public property designated for traffic and pedestrians. You can obtain a licence for temporary use of road rights-of-way.

Active Transportation Vehicle Share Program

Active vehicles, including bicycles, e-bikes and e-scooters, encourage more people to engage in sustainable modes of transportation, offer more connections in their community, and support a healthy, vibrant city.

For the 2022-2023 ATVS Program, the City of Edmonton has implemented a competitive bidding process, which is a change to the process from last year. Submitted applications will be evaluated and two service providers will be selected for the City of Edmonton from May 2022 to December 31, 2023.

UPDATE: Applications are now closed as of May 9, 2022 at 4pm (MST). We thank all the companies that have applied, and the City is now evaluating the submissions. We will be contacting all applicants once a decision has been made mid-May

If your company is a successful bidder, you will be required to complete and sign a licence agreement and an application document that is required to operate in Edmonton.

Bridge Banners

The Bridge Banner Program is intended to aid non-profit/charitable organizations or public events in their objectives by providing advertisement space on city overpasses.

These guidelines address placement of signs on road rights-of-way pursuant to Bylaw 5590, the Traffic Bylaw.

Submit A Request

Election Signs

These terms and conditions address the placement of election signs on city road right-of-ways.

Election Signs on City Road Right-of-way

Extended Lobbies

Help make our streets more interesting and encourage pedestrian activity. This licence allows non-permanent construction for retail displays on storefront sidewalks.

Guidelines and Fees

Application Form

Licence of Occupation

This licence allows the road right-of-way for commercial or residential purposes, such as parking and storage areas, landscaping and gardening, walls and fences, freestanding business identification signs and artwork.

Guidelines and Fees

Commercial Application Form

Residential Application Form

On-Street Construction & Maintenance (OSCAM)

On-Street Construction and Maintenance (OSCAM) permits are required for most work on City road-right-of-ways, including roads, sidewalks and boulevards. Use the OSCAM Permit Decision Matrix to determine whether your project needs a permit.

Average processing time for an OSCAM permit application is 6 business days. Unless it’s an emergency, allow time for processing and public notification, especially for major impacts.

We are experiencing a high volume of inquiries and are taking longer than usual to process permits. We appreciate your patience and we will get back to you as soon as we are able.

OSCAM Permit Application

All work within road rights-of-way must be completed within City of Edmonton Design and Construction standards. City lands must be restored to the same state and condition in which it existed prior to work commencement. The Guidelines for Excavation and Core Restoration (Section 2965) summarize the Design and Construction Standard key points. The construction standard has exact details for your work area.


Planters on boulevards and sidewalks need to meet the attached guidelines and need to be approved by the City.


Planter Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design Outline

Road Right-of-Way Portable Signs

To place a portable sign on road rights-of-way, applicants must first enter into an Agreement with the City.

Portable Signs Application and Maps

Showhome Wayfinding

The City has developed a set of guidelines for the installation of showhome wayfinding signage within public road rights-of-way. These guidelines align with City Council’s direction to reduce sign clutter on public lands.

Showhome Wayfinding
Street Light Banners

To request banners on street lights, please complete an application providing the details of the banner and location you prefer.

Submit a Request

Utility Line Assignment

External agencies and private utilities can apply for a ULA Permit to monitor or use well installations within the public road rights-of-way. All utility installations require a ULA Permit for City approval. For more information, visit Utility Line Assignment Permits.

Apply Online
Attach a digital copy of your tentative plan or indicate that hard copies will be sent. Acceptable file types are .doc, .pdf and .jpg. Confirmation of your application will be sent to the email indicated in the application.

2023 Utility Line Assignment Permitting and Inspection Fees