Learn how and where to place a portable sign on road right-of-way.

Temporary Portable Sign Program

The City of Edmonton Temporary Portable Sign Program provides space for advertising information about community events or charitable causes on the City’s road right-of-way through a collaboration between community organizations and temporary portable sign companies that have an active agreement with the City of Edmonton.

Apply Now


Applicants must have active registration with the Government of Alberta, Corporation Registration System (CORES) or are listed with the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) as an active charity. Organizations include:

  • Community Association - a non-governmental association of participating members of a community, such as a neighbourhood, condominium, cooperative, or group of homeowners or property owners in a delineated geographic area
  • School - a structured learning environment through which an education program is offered to a student by way of the Alberta School Act
  • Society - means a society incorporated or continued under the Alberta Societies Act and not discontinued, including:
    • Philanthropic organizations or charities
    • Sport or recreation clubs
    • Faith-based organizations
    • Arts, literary cultural groups
    • Volunteer organizations
    • Science, agriculture, environmental, or educational organizations
    • Other useful purposes but not for the purpose of carrying on a trade or business
  • Alberta Approved Farmers’ Markets - is one that has been approved by Alberta Approved Farmers’ Market Program and as such meets the requirements of the program guidelines that have been approved by the Minister.
Content Requirements

The information being advertised is limited to:

  • The details of a community event that positively impacts local community spirit and occurs within the City of Edmonton, or
  • Be related to a charitable cause that is of broad interest to the local community
Permit Approval Process

Permits are issued by the City to the sign companies and the organizations they work with. Sign companies submit all permit applications through the City’s online application portal.

If you are an organization that would like to place a temporary portable sign please contact a sign company with an active agreement with the City to apply for the permit and place the sign.


Portable signs for organizations are only allowed at pre-approved locations designated as Non-Profit Sign Locations.

Temporary Portable Signs on Private Property

This program does not address portable signs on private property. The use of portable signs on titled lands is governed by Zoning Bylaw 20001.  For more information, please visit Temporary Signs on private property.