Read about up-to-date COVID-19 related service adjustments for development, permit, licencing, and construction & inspection services.
For interior and exterior alterations and renovations, additions, tenant improvements, selective or partial demolitions, changes to business activities.
For commercial, industrial, institutional, apartments, Row Houses with 5 or more dwelling units, and stacked Row Houses.
Do I Need A Permit?
Permits are required for:
Changes in activity
- You are the first tenant in a new building
- Moving your business to a new location
- Change in a location's business activity, such as from retail to restaurant
- Change in intensity of activity, such as restaurant seating increasing from 50 to 200
- Installing temporary or permanent exterior signs
Construction or equipment changes
- Changes to exterior doors and windows
- Changes to structural and non-structural walls
- Changes to heating and ventilation, plumbing, gas, and electrical work will require separate trades permits
- When upgrading or installing new equipment (for example, a vehicle-detailing business expanding to include repair; forklift use and its charging/fuelling in a warehouse may require additional ventilation; adding or modifying commercial cooking equipment)
Permits are not required for:
- Cosmetic changes such as painting, changing flooring, or cabinetry