What is a "Stressed Ribbon" Bridge?
A stressed ribbon bridge means the support cables are embedded into the deck below the walking surface. The basic principle behind the stressed ribbon design is similar to a suspension bridge. It has also been referred to as the modern analogy of a ‘rope bridge’.
The City of Edmonton considered a number of options for the footbridge. After careful evaluation, a stressed ribbon design was selected because:
- It has a reduced environmental impact during the construction phase
- The thin, rolling structure is aesthetically pleasing and reduces the visual impact in the river valley
- The pre-stressed deck is extremely durable
- It was the most cost-efficient option
- It has a long lifespan and low maintenance costs
- It has a quick construction period