Main page content begins here

Building a new home requires several types of permits, including a Development Permit and a Building Permit.

Before you begin, review all of the requirements below for a complete application.

Preparing to Apply

Review the Zoning Regulations

Not all residential properties have the same zoning regulations. Your proposed project will need to fit with the zoning regulations of the area where you plan to build.

To confirm a project’s property zoning, use the City of Edmonton’s interactive zoning map.
  1. Go to
  2. Enter the property’s address in the fields on the left and click ‘Find Address’
  3. The property’s ‘Current Zone’ and ‘Overlays’ will be highlighted.

Things like type of development, lot dimensions, lot area and placement of buildings will all be assessed before your project can be approved, as part of the Development Permit application.

Applications for Single Detached, Semi-detached and Row Houses

Application Requirements

For complete submission details for house permits including Single detached, Semi-detached, Duplex, Garden Suites and Row Houses, consult the application requirements.

Online Application 


Hardcopy Application Forms

New House Permit Application Form

New House Permit Application Guide

Abandoned Wells Declaration Form

Payment Options

Full payment must be made at the time of application.

Fees: 2019 Single Detached House Fees (effective January 1, 2019)

Payment can be made online during the application process using Visa, MasterCard or American Express.

In Person/By mail (cheque only):

Edmonton Service Centre
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower
10111 104 Avenue NW

Edmonton AB
T5J 0J4

Over the phone:

311 or, if outside of Edmonton, 780-442-5311

Register for Online Services
Take advantage of the City’s convenient online services.

If you are not already registered, sign-up so you can access your applications online and the application dashboard where you can:

  • Submit permit applications and documents
  • See fees owing and pay online using credit card
  • Check application status at any time
  • Download approved permit documents for on-site reference by trades and safety codes officers (inspectors)

After You Apply

The Development Process

The basic development process involves the following steps:

Review: City staff will review all development applications and building plans.

Approve/Refuse: Development permits must comply with zoning regulations and building permits must comply with all required safety codes.

Inspect: Projects must undergo specific inspections to ensure construction is conducted safely.

For more information on the development process, visit

View application status
  • Check application status at any time
  • See fees owing and pay online using a credit card
  • Download approved permit documents
Preparing Access to the Site

Before you deliver goods to your site, demolish existing buildings, or cross the boulevard with a motorized vehicle for any purposes, you will need to obtain your On-Street Construction and Maintenance (OSCAM) Permit and include it with the Temporary Construction Access Authorization Permit (TCAAP) form. This is to ensure you are not damaging the boulevard, sidewalk or the City owned trees while you access your site. You should apply for your OSCAM Permit once your Demolition or Building Permit applications have been submitted.

Submit changes/revisions

Changes and revisions can be submitted at various stages of the process.

Development Revisions

Consult the Development Officer to submit changes or revisions.

Building Revisions

Changes to plans after the Building Permit is issued must be approved by the Safety Codes Officer who issued it. Submit changes, revisions and 9.36 Energy Efficiency deviations to Review your permit conditions or the 9.36 section of for ways to resolve Energy Efficiency deviations.

Before You Start Building

You have permission from the City to start building once you have your approved development permit and building permit. However, you may need additional permissions from the City as part of the construction process if you want to close a sidewalk, place a waste bin on the road, or create a new driveway, for example.

Consult the City’s Good Construction Practices to determine what other specialized permits you may need and to find best practices for when your building.


Lot Grading Inspections

A Lot Grading Plan is one component of a Development and/or Building Permit approval, and if an approved plan does not exist then a proposed Lot Grading Plan must be submitted as part of the development application. During the construction phase, the owner/project manager must ensure that the site is configured to provide interim control of surface drainage to ensure that adjacent private properties are not impacted by stormwater run-off from the site. At the completion of the proposed development, the applicant must submit a grade certificate to apply for grading approval.

For more information, please visit

Safety Codes Inspections
Safety Codes inspections are conducted throughout each phase of construction and prior to occupancy.

Inspections allow for proactive and reactive adjustments during construction projects, ensuring minimum code requirements are satisfied.

Every permit holder is responsible for requesting inspections at specific stages of construction. Inspections are completed by City of Edmonton Safety Codes Officers who work to educate builders, tradespeople and citizens, investigate issues, and enforce relevant bylaws, regulations and acts. These expert staff members ensure that construction complies with requirements set out in the Alberta Building Code, National Energy Code and other relevant Codes and Standards.

Required inspections are included in the permit cost. However, additional inspections resulting from deficient work will incur a fee.

For inspections information or booking, visit Safety Codes Inspection Services.

The basic required safety codes inspections are:
  • Footing and Foundation (ready-to-backfill)
  • Framing (with windows and doors installed)
  • Insulation, Air and Vapour Barrier (prior-to-cover)
  • Final (prior to occupant move-in)
Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
  • Duct Rough-In (prior to cover)
  • Final
Plumbing & Gas
  • Plumbing and Gas Rough-In (prior-to-cover), above- and/or below-ground
  • Final
  • Electrical Service (up to house, from pedestal or pole)
  • Rough-in (prior-to-cover)
  • Final

All inspections for HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing and Gas must be successfully completed before the Final Building Inspection will be done.

Development Permit Inspection

Development Permit Inspections are conducted before the end of construction and confirms that new construction is completed in accordance with an approved Development Permit.

Applicants are notified if they require a development permit inspection when they apply for a development permit.

For More Information

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm

Contact us online


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content