This page contains information on pre-application meetings for residential and commercial development permits. Please visit Land Development Applications for information on pre-application meetings for rezonings and plan amendments.
Infill Pre-Application Meetings
The City of Edmonton offers Pre-Application Meetings for new residential infill development (Single Detached Housing, Semi-detached Housing, Duplex Housing or Garden Suite). To arrange a pre-application infill meeting for residential infill developments use the.
Pre-Application Meetings for Major Development Permit
Development Services provides a Pre-Application Meeting for commercial, industrial, and multi-dwelling residential projects.
The scope can include:
- New buildings
- Renovations and additions, or
- A change of use resulting in a major change to the site such as parking or access
You will meet with a team of City staff from different departments to review your proposal and gather input on your issues.
At the meeting City staff will focus on items that will help you submit a well-informed development permit submission, including:
- Flagging issues to address, such as variances to the Zoning Bylaw
- Sharing information that needs to be considered, such as required separation from existing accesses, and
- Identifying additional required reports or information
- Sharing relevant City program information such as the Facade Improvement Program or the Development Incentive Program
Your development permit application that responds to the Pre-Application Meeting information will help to reduce review and process times. A thorough application can save time by limiting the back and forth communications between you and the City.
The Edmonton Service Centre is available for basic inquiries and information related to development permits that do not call for a Pre-Application Meeting.
None of the comments provided through the Pre-Application Meeting are to be taken to imply or suggest a commitment or decision by City administration to either approve or refuse your proposal. Undertaking the complete Development Permit process is the only way to be provided with a decision by City administration.
Pre-Application Meetings are:
- (2022 calendar)
- 50 minutes long
- First-come, first-served based on complete requests
Requests are due 3 weeks before the meeting date. A complete request includes the form with clear discussion items, a scaled Site Plan with the required information and the fee.
Note: Email is used for all communications. Ensure your email account will accept email from email@example.com.
Step 1: Submit Request
- Complete the Pre-Application Meeting Request form and online fee payment
- Due 3 weeks prior to meeting date
Pre-Application meeting for: Major Development Permits-Commercial, Industrial, Institutional, Mixed Use, and Multi-dwelling Development Applications
$460 effective January 1, 2023
Pre-Application meeting for: New Infill Construction for Single Detached
Housing, Semi-Detached Housing, Duplex Housing, Garden Suite Applications-
2023 fee: $180 (effective until December 31, 2023)
Step 2: Meeting Scheduled
- Time slot (50 minutes) assigned by Development Services
- Requests scheduled on a first-come basis of complete requests, including the fee
- Meeting date shared by email within 2 days of a complete request
Step 3: City Review
- Request provided to relevant City staff for review
- City circulation may include Development Services, Drainage Services, Fire Rescue Services, Transportation Planning, Waste Management Services, Citizen Services and Planning and Environment Services
Step 4: Pre-Application Meeting
- 50-minute meeting with City staff
- Focused on the discussion items and site plan provided with the meeting request
Step 5: Meeting Record
- Development Services provides a written followup
- Provided 1 week after the meeting
After the Pre-Application Meeting
In order to maximize the benefit of the Pre-Application Meeting, your development permit application needs to respond to the information provided at the meeting.
Share the Meeting Record with your project team. City staff who receive the development permit circulation will consider the comments included in the Meeting Record.
A full list of the guidelines and regulations that relate to Major Development Permit applications is on the Major Development Permit Resources page.