Property Owner's Responsibilities
It is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that lot grading approval is achieved in a timely manner. Drainage Bylaw 18093 establishes these time frames for single-detached, semi-detached, duplex and row house developments as follows:
- Rough Grade must be approved within:
- 18 months of the building permit being issued for the premises
- Final Grade must be approved within:
- 12 months of the Rough Grade Approval; or
- 30 months of the building permit being issued for the premises
The property owner may choose to bypass the rough grade approval and go directly to final grade.
All exterior construction, including buildings, concrete driveways, walkways and drainage systems must be completed before applying for rough or final grade approval.
It is the builder's responsibility to ensure that roof leaders (downspouts) and foundation drainage systems are installed according to the approved engineering drawings and servicing requirements.