Main page content begins here

Important information for residents living in annexed areas formerly belonging to Leduc and Beaumont.

Welcome to Edmonton! Here are some important things for new residents to know.

Special arrangements are in place for newly-annexed residents. For example, you might not have to apply for a particular licence for a year, or you might not have to pay for a licence when you apply. 

Check the programs below first to see if there are arrangements in place. Otherwise, check the rest of this website.

City Services

Animal Services (Wildlife)

The City does not provide wildlife trap rentals.

You may legally trap pest animals such as skunks, gophers, porcupines, squirrels, ground squirrels, magpies, and crows on your own property. Trapped wild animals are not accepted at the Animal Care and Control Centre, so you must relocate them.

You can still rent traps from the County of Leduc.

For injured wildlife or concerns about large animals, contact 780-442-5311 for information.

Elected Officials

The City of Edmonton is reviewing existing ward boundaries to ensure that all Edmontonians are represented by a councillor.

Residents will have the opportunity to review proposed ward boundaries for their area. More information can be found at

Fire Services and Permits

Edmonton Fire Rescue Services serves the annexed areas. Ellerslie Fire Station, 1203 Ellwood Rd. SW, and Heritage Valley Station, 12110 26 Ave SW, are the closest stations.

Permits are required for fireworks and open burning (not including burn barrels) and will have fees applied. Permits are required year-round. More information: Fire Rescue Services Fees and Permits

Garbage and Recycling

There are no current plans for weekly garbage truck collection. New Edmonton south residents have access to all City of Edmonton garbage, recycling, and waste drop-off facilities.

Residents can continue to use their current Leduc Regional Landfill card to dispose of their waste at the Leduc and District Regional Management Facility.

Police Services

The new areas are incorporated into the Southeast and Southwest divisions policed by Edmonton Police Service (EPS). Services will be provided consistent with the rest of the city. 

In case of an emergency, call 911. For non-emergency assistance, call 780-423-4567, or visit You can also Report a Crime Online.

Residents West of Highway 2

Visit the Southwest Division Police Station
 1351 Windermere Way
Phone: 780-426-8300

Residents East of Highway 2

Visit the Southeast Division Police Station 
#104 Youville Drive East (24 Avenue and 58 Street)
Phone: 780-426-8200

Station Hours

Monday-Saturday: 8am-8pm
Sunday: 10am-6pm
Statutory Holidays: Closes

For anonymous Crime Stoppers tips, call 1-800-222-8477 or visit

EPS always keeps one police car available in each division to respond to emergencies should one arise. Each officer devotes 25% of each shift to crime prevention, with the remaining 75% dedicated to response. These arrangements help EPS respond to Priority One calls in seven minutes or less, 80% of the time.

EPS has hired additional personnel to ensure the new areas are well served. Officers patrol the region targeting criminal activity, conducting traffic enforcement, and participating in community safety initiatives.

Rural Crime Watch continues. Residents are also encouraged to learn more about Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) to improve the safety and security of their property. 

Security alarms need to be verified by monitoring companies before the police will respond, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Road Clearing

All roads are regularly inspected to ensure safety and promote mobility. The City will endeavour to provide road maintenance services at the same level as is currently provided by the County.

The City has snow and ice control standards that set the time frame for when different types of roads are cleared.

For the winter of 2018-2019, new residents will receive the same level of snow clearing as they had received from Leduc County. This includes clearing driveways and church parking lots twice per winter by request.

Arrangements for the winter of 2019-2020 will be different, and details will follow.

Road Construction/ 50th Street

Roadway improvements planned by Leduc County will be added to Edmonton’s priority list and assessed against other City projects.

Many factors are considered, including the remaining life of each pavement section. Road maintenance priorities are set based on the results of the assessment process.

Taxis and Vehicles for Hire

Vehicle for Hire businesses require a licence (dispatch, driver, and vehicle licence) before January 1, 2020.

Fees are waived until January 1, 2024. 

Property and Utilities


The City of Edmonton is working with Canada Post to change your address to an Edmonton address. 

  • We anticipate that a notice will be sent out mid-May, 2019 to let you know about the coming changes
  • In mid-July, you should receive a notice telling you what your new address will be
  • The new address will take effect August 19, 2019
  • Canada Post will provide free mail redirection for 12 months to ensure you still receive your mail during the transition

Addresses will be assigned based on a standard addressing system. The City is unable to accommodate any requests for specific numbers or addresses.

Edmonton bylaws require that address numbers be clearly displayed so that emergency responders can quickly locate a property.  

Agricultural Services/ Rentals

Residents are still able to rent equipment from Leduc County. Information about equipment rentals is available here.

Clubroot testing and monitoring will still be supported by Leduc County horticultural services. Enforcement of clubroot restrictions will be handled by City of Edmonton municipal enforcement officers. 

Identification of insect pests and tree diseases is available through Edmonton’s Pest Management Lab.

Leduc County will no longer provide other agriculture services such as weed control or spraying, or access to horticultural experts.

Burn Barrels

City of Edmonton Standards

The City of Edmonton does not generally allow burn barrels, but will allow them on agriculturally-zoned land until December 31, 2023. After that time, landowners will be expected to transition to other waste management methods. 

Leduc County Standards

The burn barrel must meet the current Leduc County standards as follows:

  • A container no larger than 210 litres (45 gallons)
  • The burn barrel must be located on a non-combustible surface extending at least three metres (10 feet) from the circumference of the container
  • The burn barrel must be at least 15 metres (50 feet) from any property line, building, structure or other combustible material
  • A spark arrestor mesh screen with openings no larger than seven millimetres (1/4 inch) and constructed of expanded metal (or equivalent non-combustible material) is used to cover the burn barrel opening in a manner sufficient to contain and reduce the hazards of airborne sparks
  • To dispose of ash, place the ashes in a metal container and soak with water. Let the ashes sit for two-to-three days before disposal in a pit.

Animal Carcass Disposal

When disposing of animal carcasses, Edmonton’s Waste Management Centre accepts large dead animals found on private property, and small animal bodies can be double-bagged and disposed of with household waste.  Commercial large animals are not accepted.


Residents who farm can continue to do so.

Current land uses are allowed to continue, and the City will incorporated the specific Leduc County zones that currently govern the annexed land. 

Farm Equipment

Tractors are allowed on local roads, but provincial rules still apply.  Farm equipment is considered overdimensional, overweight, and/or slow moving categories in the bylaw.

Vehicles in these categories generally require permits. In the case of slow-moving vehicles, they are restricted from operating in high-traffic areas during peak traffic times, and for safety reasons require an escort vehicle when operating at night. 


It is against the law to use a firearm within City limits.

Land Development

In the annexation negotiations, Leduc County and the City of Edmonton agreed that landowners within the annexation area would generally retain their existing development rights following annexation. Existing Leduc County Zones and associated regulations have been added into Edmonton’s Zoning Bylaw as a Special Area that applies only to the annexation area.

You can view the regulations for your land in Edmonton’s Zoning Bylaw 12800 online.

The City will restrict subdivisions that would create new country residential or estate residential lots, as done by the Leduc County Municipal Development Plan.

Rezoning and subdivision are done through the Land Development Application process.  

For information on rezoning, contact Rod Heinricks at or Beatrice McMillan at

For information on subdivision, contact

When contacting the City, be sure to mention that you are in the annexed area.

Noise Bylaws

The City restricts someone from causing noises that disturb the peace of someone else. Considerations for “disturbing the peace” include the nature and use of the surrounding area.

This is not expected to be an issue in the immediate future since farmers will still be surrounded by other farmers. According to the Agricultural Operation Practices Act, as long as farmers are not contravening the land use bylaw or regulations, and are consistent with general agricultural practices, they are not to be prevented from operations because of a nuisance.

Non-residential properties have noise restrictions for noises above a certain decibel level between the hours of 10pm and 7am. Construction activity is not allowed before 7am and after 9pm between Monday and Saturday, and before 9am and after 7pm on Sundays and holidays.

Open Burning

Open burning includes any controlled burns that are​ subject to conditions set in an open burning ​fire ​permit.

Year-round open burning permits are required for residents.

For more information, see Part IV of the Community Standards Bylaw

Burning of field crops is prohibited, as is animal manure, pathological waste, wood or wood products containing wood preservatives, waste material from construction sites, rubber, plastic, oil, containers that held pesticides or chemicals, and plastic or rubber-coated materials.

The following are acceptable to burn: straw, stubble, grass, weeds, leaves, tree prunings, brush and fallen trees; used power and telephone poles that do not contain preservatives; solid waste from tree harvesting; wood or wood products that do not contain preservatives; solid waste from pole and pole operations that does not contain wood preservatives.

Property Maintenance

Under the Community Standards Bylaw 14600, property owners are required to maintain their property in order to promote the safe, enjoyable and reasonable use of such property for the benefits of citizens of the City. Key points include:

  • Grass and nuisance weeds cannot be longer than 10 cm
  • Noxious and prohibited noxious weeds must be controlled
  • Excess accumulation of materials (e.g. construction materials, appliances, tires, garbage, damaged vehicles, or messy compost) is prohibited
Snow Removal

Property owners are responsible for clearing the snow and ice on the sidewalk adjacent to their property. Generally, residents have a grace period of 48 hours before they could face a warning or ticket. 

Cases where enforcement could begin prior to the grace period include cases of high-traffic areas, around commercial businesses, and at locations where slips and falls have been reported.

Licences, Permits and Taxes

Animal Licensing and Care (Pets)

Pet Licences

Residents are required to get a pet licence before December 31, 2019 and fees are waived until December 31, 2023. Licences are available at the Animal Care and Control Centre (ACCC) or online.

The City limits pet ownership to a maximum of 3 dogs over the age of 6 months and a maximum of 6 cats over the age of 6 months.

If your property is zoned Agricultural, you can continue to have animals which would otherwise not be allowed in the city (for example, sheep).

Lost Pets

Lost pets are housed at the Animal Care and Control Centre. Visit Pets and Wildlife to view animals currently at the centre.

Pets on Property

Dogs must be on a leash and under your control when not on your property.

If a dog is running at large and you can catch him, check if the dog has a City tag. Call 780-442-5311 for assistance and an Animal Control Officer may be able to pick it up and return it, or take it to the Animal Care and Control Centre.  

If you cannot catch the dog, call 780-442-5311, report the dog at large and the address, and an Animal Care and Control officer will come. 

You can trap cats on your property, and traps are available from Animal Care and Control Centre with a refundable deposit. Cats trapped in a City-issued trap can be picked up by Animal Control Officer and transported to the ACCC. Cats trapped in a non-City-issued trap must be delivered to the ACCC.

Back Taxes

If you owe taxes to Leduc County, the tax arrears have been transferred to the City of Edmonton. They are due and payable to the City of Edmonton, and penalties will continue to apply. 

Building Permits

A building permit is required for most major construction projects (things like new buildings, additions, renovations, alterations, repairs, relocations, demolitions, or the change of use in an existing building). 

NOTE: The Safety Codes Act requires that all contractors and homeowners in Alberta obtain permits before starting any work on buildings covered by the current edition of the Alberta Building Code.

For information on building permits contact

New house construction also requires a building permit.

Business Licences

Farm operations do not need a business licence. Other businesses, including home-based businesses, are required to have a business licence, and must do so by January 1, 2020.
Business licences must be renewed annually. 

For information, contact Fees are waived until January 1, 2024. 

Development Permits

Landowners maintain the right to develop their land in accordance with current land-use zoning rules (with the exception of applying for a new Confined Feeding Operation or a Farm-Based Alcoholic Beverage Production Facility). 

Edmonton will issue development permits under the Leduc Land Use Bylaw. For ease of use, regulations will be transferred over to the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw.

Any new construction or change in how property is used requires a City of Edmonton development permit.

Applicants may apply to change the use of their property, but if they choose to rezone to accommodate a new use or intensify uses beyond what is currently allowed, they will have to rezone to a city zone.

For information on development permits, contact

A development permit inspection confirms that new construction is completed according to a development permit. Development permit inspections are required for: 

  • Commercial, industrial and basic services uses
  • Community, educational, recreational, and cultural service uses
  • Multi-residential uses
  • Residential infill in mature neighborhoods.

For information on development permit inspections, contact

A Compliance Certificate is a report from the City of Edmonton confirming that identified buildings and structures have met the regulations under the Zoning Bylaw and have the appropriate development permits.

For information on compliance certificates, contact

Land Value

Land value reflects market value, and is beyond the municipal government’s control. 

Property Assessment

Will linear property assessments also be calculated based on the lower municipal tax rate?

Linear properties are not protected under the 50-year agreement. They will be assessed at the City of Edmonton tax rates.

Property Taxes

Will my property taxes increase?

The City of Edmonton and Leduc County have agreed that affected residents will be taxed at the lower rate between the County and City for the next 50 years, or until the land:

  • Becomes a new parcel created as a result of subdivision or by instrument or any other method that occurs at the request of, or on behalf of, the landowner
  • Is redistricted at the request of, or on behalf of, the landowner, under the City Zoning bylaw to another district
  • Is connected to municipal water and/or sanitary sewer at the request of, or on behalf of, the landowner; or
  • Receives a development permit for any of the following discretionary uses per section 9.1.3. Of the County Land Use Bylaw: Cultural Facility; Education Service; Local Community Facility; Recreation, Indoor; Religious Assembly; and Utility Service, Major.

Selling your property does not automatically trigger a tax rate change.

Other Services

Ambulance Service

The annexation does not affect ambulance service.

Emergency Medical Services continue to be managed by Alberta Health Services. Response times continue to be the same.


Fortis Alberta continues to provide electricity services.

For information, call 1-866-717-3113. 

For More Information

311 Contact Centre

Online Contact 311 Online


TTY 780-944-5555

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content