ACCC building

The Animal Care & Control Centre is where Edmonton’s stray and lost pets are housed. The facility offers safe-harbour for sick, injured, and lost pets as well as victims of animal neglect, cruelty and abandonment.

We house and care for these pets until such time as their rightful owners can be found or they are transferred to a rescue for adoption.    

Staff at the facility is trained to look after the health and well-being of all pets in our care by providing:

  • First aid and veterinary care for animals that come in with an injury
  • Quality food
  • Kennels that are cleaned and disinfected throughout each day
  • Vaccinations to protect from infection
  • Specialty care for unique pets 

Did you know ACCC: 

  • Houses more than 6,000 lost pets found in Edmonton each year
  • Has a 2,120 square metre (22,800 square feet) building that holds up to 84 cats and 47 dogs comfortably according to capacity for care
  • Has a specially designed area for small pets
  • Is a one-stop shop for pet licensing, stray animal care and enforcement services
  • Animal Care & Control Officers are based at the Centre
  • Is next door neighbours with the Edmonton Humane Society.

Effective September 20, 2021, an appointment to drop off or pick up an animal is required. To book your appointment, visit

 The City of Edmonton is adopting the Government of Alberta’s Restriction Exemption Program. Beginning September 20, everyone visiting the Animal Care & Control Centre will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or recent negative test results. 
More information is available at

Masks and face coverings are also required indoors at all City facilities. More information is available at

Animal Care & Control Centre

Lost Pets

Pets are a part of our families, so when they go missing it is an anxious time for both owners and the pet. Citizens are encouraged to keep their microchip and license information up to date so that if your pet is lost the chance of being reunited increases.

If you have lost your pet:

  • Place posters in your neighbourhood
  • Talk to your neighbours
  • Post on facebook community and lost pet group pages
  •  Monitor the City of Edmonton’s Lost Pets page

**If you see an animal that appears to be your pet on our Lost Pets page, make an appointment online via or by calling 311.

Injured Animals

Priority appointments will be given to those animals that are:

  • In distress

  • Injured (wounds, limping, bleeding)

  • Visibly ill (thin, weak, not mobile, any discharge from eyes or nose)

  • Very pregnant (imminent birth)

  • Kittens under two months of age who appear to have no mother

  • Outside when the temperatures have dropped below -20 degrees Celsius with the windchill and where the finder is unable to bring the animal inside

We encourage citizens to make attempts to find the owner of any healthy, lost or stray animal. If the animal has a tag with a licence number on it, 311 may provide the owner’s contact information if the owner has given us permission to release it. It is important to note that owned lost cats are 10 times more likely to find their way home if left in their neighbourhood than if they are brought to a shelter. Outdoor cats and feral cats are accustomed to being outside. 

For a list of more tips on what you can do to reunite pets with their owners and templates to make your own Lost Cat Poster or Paper Collar, visit

Licence Your Pet

Citizens can purchase or renew their pet license online or in-person at Animal Care & Control Centre. Payments can also be sent by cheque or money order and mailed to: The City of Edmonton, P.O. Box 2670, Edmonton, AB. T5J 2G4.

Payment can be made at any financial institution or via Online Banking payable to City of Edmonton Pet/Business Licences or Edmonton Pet & Business Licences.  

We encourage pet owners to keep their contact information associated with their pet’s licence up-to-date online in the event your pet gets lost.

Visit our Pet License page to learn more about the importance of licensing your pet and how your license helps other cats in need of assistance/support.

Animal Care Employees Rescue Distressed Dog

City Animal Care & Control Centre employees teamed up to rescue a severely emaciated dog and nurse her back to health. Read the story.

City Officer Rehabilitates a Puppy Abandoned Near a Dumpster

On arrival, 'Scuba' was covered in feces, infested with roundworms and unable to stand or walk due to a rare developmental deformity.

Read her recovery story.

Virtual Tour

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get to the Animal Care & Control Centre?

The Animal Care & Control Centre is located at 13550 -163 Street, and shares its entrance with the Chappelle Centre for Animal Care, home of the Edmonton Humane Society.

When travelling westbound on 137 Avenue, turn left onto 163 Street. Proceed south along 163 Street until you see the monument signs for the Chappelle Centre for Animal Care and the Animal Care & Control Centre.

When travelling eastbound on 137 Avenue, turn right onto 163 Street. Proceed south along 163 Street until you see the monument signs for the Chappelle Centre for Animal Care and the Animal Care & Control Centre.

What does the City do to find a lost pet's owner?

Every animal that enters our Animal Care & Control Centre is searched for tags, a tattoo or a microchip.

When an animal has a valid pet licence and is wearing tags, we can immediately contact the owner. A tattoo or microchip with up-to-date information on file also helps us to contact the owner.

Every animal that enters our facility also has its picture posted on our Found Pets search tool.

How long are animals kept at the Animal Care & Control Centre?

Animals with no identification are kept up to three business days and animals with identification are kept up to 10 business days.

After that, adoptable animals are transferred to the
Edmonton Humane Society and other rescue groups.