The City of Edmonton and the Public, Catholic, and French Schoolboards promote greening including the creation of outdoor classrooms and gardens.
Greening your school yard can be as small as installing a bird feeder or as large as a full outdoor classroom.
Benefits of Greening Your School Yard
- Green spaces provide meaningful ways to educate students about the natural environment while still meeting curriculum requirements
- Foster environmental awareness
- Build a sense of community and school spirit
- Contribute to the livable community
If you are interested in greening your schoolyard, there are many resources available for your project. When thinking about your project there are a few things to consider including:
- Establishing support and capacity – Does the school board and community support the project? Who will manage the project, source funds, and care for the area?
- Working with your Neighbourhood Recreation Coordinator (NRC) – your NRC will help submit your idea to the Community Services Department as part of the City’s "Change to Parkland" process.
- Funding requirements - once your project is approved, if needed, apply for funding. There are many grants and other resources available for community greening projects.
Available Resources and Grants
The Environmental Artworks Foundation of Alberta