In February 2022, Edmonton City Council approved the enhanced Transit Safety and Security Plan. In this plan, the City, the Edmonton Police Service and Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society recommended a safety approach to prevent crime and connect people experiencing homelessness - and who use the transit system for shelter - to housing options, mental health and addictions support.
Recent progress on this plan includes:
- A Director of Transit Safety is overseeing and leading this work
- Hiring additional transit security dispatchers to support the Transit Watch program and have greater oversight of our surveillance cameras
- Expanding the Community Outreach Transit Team
- Ensuring safe and clean access to transit washrooms. All 18 washrooms are open with enhanced cleaning and safety measures in place
- Working collaboratively to increase security, peace officers, police and outreach workers across the transit system
- Developing education and outreach activities to support our efforts