Before it was annexed by the City of Edmonton in 1961, the town of Beverly was one of Alberta’s many coal mining communities. The Humberstone Mine, which operated near present-day Rundle Park Golf Course, was one of the largest mines in Beverly. During its thirty-four years in operation, the mine extracted nearly 1 million tons of coal from the earth.
The Humberstone mine was a major employer in Beverly and helped drive development in the town. Although it closed in 1934, the mine remains central to Beverly’s history and is a fitting subject for a virtual exhibit celebrating Beverly’s one hundredth anniversary.