Small Animals

You may legally trap pest animals such as skunks, gophers, porcupines, squirrels, ground squirrels, magpies and crows on your own property.

Wildlife Trap Rentals

Plans for building your own magpie and crow trap are available from Alberta Agriculture.

There are also many qualified pest control businesses in Edmonton. Look for them in the Yellow Pages under "Exterminators."

Large Animals

Large animals such as moose, deer, urban coyotes, and even the occasional bear or cougar in the city are the responsibility of Alberta Fish and Wildlife Officers.

Call the Edmonton district office at 780-427-3574 or the coyote information hotline at 780-644-5744.

The City's Park Rangers and the police are normally called to assist the Wildlife Officers in situations involving potentially dangerous wildlife.

Wildlife Feeding Webinar

Wildlife Feeding

Effective, February 22, 2021, intentional feeding of wildlife and excessive accumulation of edible materials on private and personal property is prohibited as per the following bylaws:

These amendments are intended to address both individuals' behaviour and property conditions that may lead to increased negative interactions between coyotes, people and companion animals or the creation of nuisance conditions that may cause public or health safety concerns. These matters may lead to safety issues such as property damage, food conditioning and habituated coyote behaviour.