Storm and sanitary servicing plans start with an Area Master Plan (AMP), a high level presentation of servicing concepts prepared by Utility Services. The concepts are further refined into detailed servicing schemes in a Neighbourhood Design Report (NDR) or a basin report prepared by the landowners’ consultant. Both AMP and NDR are conditions of Utility Services’ support to Area Structure and Neighbourhood Structure Plans, Zoning and Subdivision (SUB) applications.

Generally, the installation of the storm and sanitary facilities is a condition of SUB and in some cases that of a development permit (DP). Landowners are responsible for the timely installation of servicing to their properties.

Large sewers and special facilities known as ‘trunks’ are shared among benefiting landowners by means of the Permanent Area Contribution (PAC) program. Smaller pipes are generally not shared and are solely paid by the benefiting landowner. PAC is charged to all properties in a PAC Basin whether the facilities are built or not, as long as the PAC Rates are established.

Major sanitary trunks not covered by the Permanent Area Contribution (PAC) program are financed by the Sanitary Servicing Strategy Fund (SSSF) which has three sources of funding:  Expansion Assessment Charge (EA), Sanitary Sewer Trunk Charge(SSTC), and Sanitary Utility Contributions.

The EA is charged to all properties that are in EA Areas whether the facilities are built or not. The SSTC is charged to all premises abutting an EPCOR Water Service Inc. or City right-of-way in which there is a sanitary or combined sewer. EPCOR pays for the Sanitary Utility Contributions.

PAC and EA payments are collected at subdivision or development permit, whichever comes first, via a Servicing Agreement between the landowner and the City. The SSTC is collected at the time of the development permit application.

In commercial and industrial areas, funding of some drainage facilities may be through the Local Improvement Financing subject to some conditions and the Bylaw.

In addition, a landowner has to pay the Water and Sewer Service Connection Fees for the installation of services from the City mains to the property line.