Minor Home-Based Business Regulations
Minor home-based businesses are considered to have no impact on the neighbours and are basically invisible. These businesses can only have employees who live at the location of the home-based business. Typical businesses may include consultants and computer programmers.
If your minor home-based business complies fully with the regulations listed below, and is a Permitted Use in the zone of your property, you WILL NOT require a Development Permit but will still require a Business Licence.
The following regulations (Section 74 of the Zoning Bylaw) apply:
- You can only have one business-related visit to your home each day
- Your business cannot have an exterior display or advertisement other than an identification plaque or sign that is a maximum of 10 centimetres by 30.5 centimetres in size
- You cannot use mechanical or electrical equipment that creates external noise or visible and audible interference with your neighbours’ home electronics
- Any person who works for the business must be a resident of the home
- No outdoor business activity or outdoor storage of material or equipment associated with the business is allowed
- Your business cannot change the principal character or external appearance of the residential property