Processes and Standards
Street lighting design submissions follow the City of Edmonton's Servicing Agreement process and Engineering Drawing Approval Process.
All developer, consultants and contractors must follow the .
Lighting and Electrical Design Requirements
The consultant undertaking lighting and electrical designs on road and walkway projects within the City must be qualified and meet the requirements listed below.
The consulting firm must:
- Employ engineer(s) registered with the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists, and Geophysicists of Alberta (APEGGA) who will be required to sign and seal all lighting and electrical design drawings
- Maintain a current Permit to Practice from the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists of Alberta (APEGGA)
- Maintain a current City of Edmonton Business License
The City may audit the consultant to confirm they meet the requirements listed above. Failure to meet requirements listed may result in the consultant being restricted from undertaking projects in the City.
The consultant shall be knowledgeable in walkway and roadway lighting design, including products, construction methods and related aspects of the Canadian Electrical Code.
Though not mandatory, consultants are encouraged to:
- Obtain International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA) Level II Roadway Lighting Certification
- Maintain membership with the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America
- Attend related conferences and meetings to stay current of roadway lighting trends and technologies