Main page content begins here

Pets are often considered part of our families, so when they go missing it is an anxious time for both owners and the animals.

What To Do If You Have Lost Your Pet

If you discover your pet is lost, there are several things you can do:

  1. Look around your neighbourhood and ask neighbours if they have seen your pet. Be sure to include the time and approximate place your pet went missing. Let others know you've lost your pet.  It may not have wandered far.
  2. Visit Edmonton's Animal Care & Control Centre right away at 13550 - 163 Street, or use the Centre's Lost Pet service to look at animals that are currently at our centre. New animals are brought to the City's safe-keeping facility daily. Dogs and cats are held for 3 -10 days before they are assessed for adoption and transferred to the Edmonton Humane Society or other local rescue groups.
  3. Contact Guardian Veterinary Centre to see if your animal has been admitted.  Guardian Veterinary Centre is contracted as an after hours, animal care facility for Animal Care & Control Centre.  Admitted animals will be brought to Animal Care & Control Centre the following morning.
  4. Get online with PetLynx, an online 24-hour service that lists found pets so you can access the service any time of day. If you register your pet, you will be e-mailed automatically whenever a matching found animal is entered into the system. Also, found pets are often listed on sites like Kijiji and Craigslist, so be sure to check those.
  5. Check to make sure that the contact information associated with your City pet's licence is correct. If your pet is licensed and wearing tags, Animal Care & Control will contact you if your pet is admitted to the City's facility.

If you locate your pet at the Animal Care & Control Centre, owners are generally responsible for paying shelter fees and may have to pay a fine for having an animal at large. Kennel fees for the first day are $25 and $15 each day thereafter.

Additional charges also apply for any veterinary treatment provided.

The fine for a pet at large is $100 and the fine for an unlicensed pet is $250.

Keep Your Pet Safe

We all want to be a responsible pet owner and keep animals safe. There are steps you can take to help prevent your pet from getting lost, and if your pet goes missing, help ensure a safe return home:

  • Licence your pet – this is a simple and easy way to ensure your pet's information is on file and linked to your household
  • Have your pet implanted with a microchip and keep the contact information up-to-date
  • Keep cats inside – the chance of them going missing or being injured is greatly reduced if they stay indoors
  • Spay and neuter your companion pets, as this will diminish their urge to roam and mate
  • If you take your pet outside, ensure it's properly leashed or in a secured area, like a fenced yard
Numbers To Call if Your Pet Is Lost
  • Animal Care & Control (Lost Pets Database)
  • Edmonton Humane Society: 780-471-1774
  • Guardian Veterinary Centre: 780-436-5880

Lost Pets Online Service

View public database of the various animals currently being held for safe-keeping at the Animal Care & Control Centre.

For More Information

Animal Care & Control Centre

13550 - 163 Street
Edmonton, AB

Facility information and hours


In Edmonton: 311

Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

Fax 780-496-8824

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content