Cart Placement and Use
Setting out your carts properly ensures that they can be picked up safely by our collectors. All waste should be set out by 7am on your collection day.
The best place to set out your carts will depend on your lot, but in general:
- Place your cart at least 1 metre (3 feet) away from other carts, cars or other objects. Three metres (10 feet) of space is required between the top of the cart and overhead branches, wires, and so on.
- Place carts at least 1.5 metres (5 feet) away from the point on the curb nearest any fire hydrants to ensure visibility in the case of an emergency.
- Place your cart on level ground, with the back wheels facing towards the house or driveway. A slight slope is okay as long as the carts are upright and steady.
- If your slope is quite steep, for front street collection you can set your carts out on the street against the curb. For back alley collection, you can set your carts out on a less sloped grassy area next to your alley.
- Make sure the lid is fully closed.
- Place recycling in blue bags nearby, at least 1 metre (3 feet) away from your carts. Do not set out any extra bags or cans of garbage or food waste. Excess waste will not be collected.
Learn more about how to use, set out and store your carts, including tips for collection in alleys, cul-de-sacs and at the front street.
Cart Use, Set Out and Storage
Damaged or Lost Carts
You can request repairs for damaged carts and report lost or stolen carts via our online form, or by calling 311.
If you find a cart that does not belong to you or your neighbours, please call 311 to report it.
Report Missed Collection
You can report a missed collection through the 311 app or the online form.
In order to be collected, your waste must be set out correctly and by 7am on your collection day. Waste collectors will not be dispatched to pick up waste that was set out incorrectly or late.
Assisted Waste Collection
The City offers an assisted waste collection service for residents who have difficulty getting their waste to the curb or lane.
Options are available for residents who need help managing cart-based collection. Learn more or submit your application.