Main page content begins here

Edmonton’s River Valley Park System offers an array of diverse and beautiful sites for an outdoor wedding. An event license may be required to hold an outdoor wedding ceremony in a river valley park if: 

  • Your group is 50 people or more
  • You have any set-up (tables, chairs, archway, tent, and such)
  • You would like to reserve any of our designated picnic sites or gazebos, the Shumka Stage or Borden Park Bandshell for your exclusive use, regardless of your group size 

A license is not required to take wedding photos in a park, however, space is not guaranteed and access through an area must remain accessible to the general public. 

In order to have an enjoyable, safe and stress-free event in the park and river valley system, there are some guidelines which must be adhered to in order to receive an event license.

License Requirements
  • A Certificate of Insurance for a Minimum of $2 Million liability insurance with the City of Edmonton listed as additionally insured  
  • An Event Site Map indicating where the ceremony will take place 
  • Dates and times for use of parkland
  • Alternate plans in case of bad weather or emergency situations
General Guidelines
  • Rehearsals may require a second booking to reserve the location
  • Temporary structures and equipment set-up must be approved in advance
  • Chairs are allowed in limited quantities in various locations and include camping chairs, folding chairs, benches, and such.  No more than 10 chairs are permitted for weddings booked in Open Space on Parkland unless approved in advance by the Civic Events and Festivals Section.
  • Sound systems must be approved in advance and operated at noise levels as acceptable in the City of Edmonton Community Standards Bylaw 14600
  • A vending permit is required for any food services.  All vendors must have a valid business license and may also require a specific Alberta Health Services (AHS) Permit. Consumption of liquor is prohibited in public areas, as per the Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Act. This includes consumption for private events in all city parks
  • Dogs are not permitted in picnic areas, playgrounds or sports fields. Dogs may be walked on trails only if they are on leash. Dogs may be off leash on parkland and trails only if you are in a designated off-leash area
  • Rice, confetti, artificial flower blossoms, glitter, birdseed and grass seed are not permitted
  • All decorations, including balloons, must be approved by the Civic Events and Festivals Section prior to the start of the event. Release of balloons is strictly prohibited and balloons (or remnants of balloons) must be removed from the Parkland space at the end of your booking time and properly disposed of 
  • Signage, route markings, and directional aides must be approved prior to installation and removed immediately following your event. The use of chalk is not encouraged due to the product being challenging to remove. The use of spray chalk is prohibited 
  • A Parkland Vehicle Access Pass may be granted to allow for vehicles, golf carts or other off-highway vehicles to access parkland. Failure to provide the pass upon request to Bylaw Enforcement or Park Rangers may result in a fine
  • There is no reserved parking for wedding ceremonies
  • Winterized picnic sites are available in select river valley parks. For a list of locations refer to Picnic Site Information
  • Park areas are open for public use from 5am-11pm daily. Bookings are limited from 8am-10pm.

There are several location options within the River Valley Park system, which may be suitable for your wedding location. Additional guidelines may apply depending on the request.

Weddings in Open Space on Parkland

Open space is any outdoor parkland that is not a defined bookable space. Open Space cannot be booked exclusively and access through an area must remain open to the public.  

If your gathering is over 50 people an event license is required and Park Rental fees will apply. If the wedding is under 50 people, a Confirmation of Use will be issued. There is no cost for a Confirmation of Use, however, the set-up of any structures is not permitted. A Confirmation of Use gives permission for the activity to occur, but does not guarantee a specific site in the park or exclusive use of the park.  

Picnic sites, gazebos, the Shumka Stage in Louise McKinney Riverside Park, and the Borden Park Bandshell are outdoor options to hold your wedding. There is a per hour rental fee charged for booking these sites which varies with the facilities provided. Set up of additional structures may be permitted on these sites. Guidelines for use of picnic sites apply to these sites. Depending on availability, the Heritage Amphitheatre may also be available for weddings. Amphitheater rental fees apply.

City of Edmonton Gazebos 

The City has four gazebos that are available for rent:

  • Chinese Garden Ting
  • Dick Mather Gazebo
  • Dr. Wilbert McIntyre Gazebo
  • Grant Notley Gazebo

For details and booking information, see Gazebos.

Shumka Stage at Louise McKinney Riverfront Park

The Shumka Stage is an outdoor space in Louise McKinney Riverfront Park with a covered stage that may be booked for weddings. It is in close proximity to the Chinese Garden Ting for wedding photos and may be added as an additional booking if desired.

Amenities include:

  • Covered stage with rear windscreen
  • Access to power for event equipment on stage
  • Accessible, heated green room with kitchenette and two washrooms.
  • Adjacent parking lot
  • Within walking distance to and from Central and Sir Winston Churchill LRT Stations
  • View of the North Saskatchewan River & River Queen dock
  • Access to outdoor activity rentals

Note: There is limited on site parking with 5 stalls that can be reserved. The parking lot directly west of the Shumka Stage is managed by the Edmonton Convention Centre and is not reserved. We strongly urge that events make alternative parking arrangements in the Downtown Core. The service roads around the park are for City staff and emergency vehicle use only. Parking is not allowed on any parkland.

Borden Park Bandshell

The Borden Park Bandshell is an ideal location for weddings with 50 to 300 people. It can, however, be impacted by other activities that are taking place in the surrounding area. For example, the Edmonton Exhibition Grounds are located to the north of the park and often host large events that impact parking and produce competing sound. Additionally, the Borden Park Natural Swimming Pool and Tennis Courts are located directly east of the Borden Park Bandshell.  

Borden Park Picnic Site #1 is situated just north of the Borden Park Bandshell and is impacted by vehicles and people accessing the Borden Park Bandshell location. Therefore, when the Borden Park Bandshell is booked by an event, Picnic Site #1 must also be booked.  

Borden Park Bandshell available amenities include: 

  • Limited Power
  • Green Rooms
  • A single washroom
  • Sheltered Stage

There is limited parking adjacent to this area. Except where identified by roadside angled parking lots and parking signs, Borden Park Road is predominantly a no parking zone.  Groups making use of the Borden Park Bandshell need to be prepared to use the parking lot on the west side of Borden Park or the angled parking zone on the south side of Borden Park Road that is directly west of Borden Park Bandshell. Unless otherwise permitted, events are not authorized to park in the Borden Park Natural Swimming Pool parking lot. Parking is not allowed on any parkland. 

Indoor Rental Options

There are several City of Edmonton-owned facilities within the Edmonton River Valley that can be booked in conjunction with the outdoor space and are available for wedding bookings. 

Indoor Rental spaces operate independently of Park Spaces. Park space must be booked separately through the Civic Events & Festivals Section by filling out the Civic Event Application Form

Alfred Savage Centre
(Aspen Room) 

Alfred H. Savage Center is located within Whitemud Park. Please note, the Alfred H. Savage Center is also a public facility and access must be maintained to the public side of the building.  

Whitemud Park features: 

  • Many trails within Whitemud Nature Reserve
  • Footbridges and historical landmarks ideal for photos
  • Fire circle (must be booked through the Civic Events section) 
  • Open field Space 

Booking Contact:

ACT Recreation Centre and Rundle Family Centre

ACT Recreation Centre and Rundle Family Centre have a variety of interior spaces that can be booked in conjunction with outdoor spaces. The Rundle Family Centre is a large, open-concept facility overlooking Rundle Park and the surrounding lake. It is great for photos as well as BBQs, and the surrounding parkland offers a variety of activities.

See facility information for Weddings

Booking Contact:
Phone: 780-496-7972

Yorath House

The outdoor field space directly east of Yorath House can be booked to complement your facility booking. To use the outdoor space, an event license will be required in addition to a booking for Yorath House.  

Booking Contact:

For More Information

Civic Events and Festivals Section


Before you call: please note that we can only assist you with events taking place on Roads, Plazas/Squares, or in River Valley Parks. Please visit Application Process: Neighbourhood Parks or Block Parties to book those type of events.

Fax 780-944-0042

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content