Building permits ensure structures are designed and built to be safe.
Building Permit Exemption
If your event meets the criteria below, you do not need to submit an application for permit review:
- Your event is one day in length. Time required for set up and take down are not considered part of the event
- No custom-built structures (example: custom-built tents, stages, bleachers)
- No high-occupant-load facilities (large contained open spaces such as a beer gardens)
- No plumbing, gas or electrical connections
- Tents and canopies that:
- Cover less than 60 square metres (645 square feet) in total area
- Are spaced at least 3 metres (10 feet) from other structures
- Have fire retardant fabric label
- Are not used for cooking
Examples of tent arrangements that do not require building permit review:
- six 10’ x 10’ tents
- two 15’ x 15 tents
- one 20’ x 30’ tent
- one 25’ x 25’ tent
Building Permit Application
If your event does not meet the criteria above, submit an application to enable City staff to determine if a permit is required.
A building permit may not be required based on a number of factors including: number, type and arrangement of structures, service connections, anticipated number of guests and overall complexity of your site.