Main page content begins here

Beginning May 28, 2021, responsible alcohol consumption will be permitted at 47 picnic sites across 7 parks in the river valley as a pilot project that will run until October 11, 2021. Park sites include both bookable and “first-come, first-served” sites. Previous to this, alcohol consumption was not permitted in parks without a festival and event licence.

Adults may consume alcohol safety and responsibly from 11am to 9pm daily at designated picnic sites with posted signage permitting consumption.  

Alcohol consumption is still not permitted at picnic sites in those parks that are not part of the pilot project. The only exception is for activities that have a festival and event licence.

Example of Sign Permitting Alcohol At A Picnic Site

Our city’s parks and river valley are extremely valuable to each and every Edmontonian. Please respect the peace of others around you, ensure you leave the site in good condition and drink responsibly. Please follow all regulations set out in the Province’s Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Act and the City of Edmonton’s bylaws (Parkland Bylaw 2202, Animal Licensing and Control Bylaw 13145 and Public Places Bylaw 14614).


How can I book a picnic site that allows alcohol?

Reservations for a picnic site can be completed through the online reservation system on When picnic site bookings are open, requests will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis. 

Will there be additional charges for a picnic booking if alcohol is being consumed?

No, there will not be additional charges for a picnic where alcohol is consumed. 

How do non-bookable sites work and how many allow alcohol consumption?

Sites are first-come, first-served. Thirty-three non-bookable sites have been identified for alcohol consumption in 7 parks. 

How big are the picnic sites? How many people can use them?

There is a wide range in the capacity of each site. The largest sites are the bookable ones, which may have capacities up to 100 people. The non-bookable sites are smaller and may have 1-3 picnic tables. Regardless of picnic site size, park users must still adhere to COVID-19 gathering size limits.

Why are only picnic sites part of the pilot and not the whole park?

In alignment with the regulations outlined in the Province’s Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Act, only picnic sites are eligible for alcohol consumption. Exceptions to this are only when special permits have been granted from the Alberta Gaming Liquor and Cannabis Commission (AGLC). 

Why was only the River Valley identified for the pilot project?

The River Valley was selected for the pilot due to the existing presence of enforcement and operational teams, which allows the pilot to be managed within existing budgets.

How were picnic sites chosen?

Picnic sites that permit alcohol consumption meet our guiding principles around safety, accessibility, visitor experience, honouring existing park users and inclusivity. 

How do I report issues related to alcohol consumption in parks (such as consumption at non-designated picnic sites, underage drinking and excessive noise)?

For violations to City of Edmonton bylaws (Parkland Bylaw 2202, Animal Licensing and Control Bylaw 13145 and Public Places Bylaw 14614) and the Province’s Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Act please call 311. For criminal matters, please contact the Edmonton Police Service at 780-423-4567 (non-emergency complaint line) or if an emergency, call 911. 

How will rules and issues related to alcohol consumption be enforced by enforcement officers?

The City of Edmonton’s enforcement officers will focus on addressing behavioural concerns such as the protection of parkland, fire prevention and ensuring patrons are not disturbing the peace or enjoyment of other persons using the parkland space.

Officers will also ensure patrons are not interfering with the exclusive use of any area granted to another person or group and ensure that alcohol is being consumed in a manner that is in accordance with the City of Edmonton bylaws (Parkland Bylaw 2202, Animal Licensing and Control Bylaw 13145 and Public Places Bylaw 14614) and the Province’s Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Act.

What will be the approach if repeat issues arise at a site or park?

Peace Officers will track and monitor all complaints and calls for service. These will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. 

How can I submit my feedback on the pilot throughout the summer?

You can submit feedback on the pilot by completing the survey on (when available). 

River Valley Parks and Picnic Site Locations that Permit Alcohol Consumption

Public Engagement

Public Engagement Results

Public Consumption Survey Results

Public Engagement Survey on PILOT

Coming soon. 

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content