Main page content begins here


Small Animals

You may legally trap pest animals such as skunks, gophers, porcupines, squirrels, ground squirrels, magpies and crows on your own property.

Traps for porcupines, skunks, and squirrels are available from the City to the public from the Animal Care & Control Centre located at 13550 - 163 Street. Traps are only available from April 1 to October 31, weather permitting. You are responsible for returning the trap if an animal is not caught. Animal Care & Control Officers will pick up any trapped animal.

  • Humane wildlife traps are available for up to one week for a $75 refundable deposit. (Available April 1 to October 31, weather permitting)
  • Payment may be made by VISA, Mastercard, or debit for immediate refund upon return of the trap
  • Cash payment refunds can take up to 4 weeks
  • Cheques are not accepted

Plans for building your own magpie and crow trap are available from Alberta Agriculture.

There are also many qualified pest control businesses in Edmonton. Look for them in the Yellow Pages under "Exterminators."

Large Animals

Large animals such as moose, deer, urban coyotes, and even the occasional bear or cougar in the city are the responsibilty of Alberta Fish and Wildlife Officers.

Call the Edmonton district office at 780-427-3574, or the coyote information hotline at 780-644-5744.

The City's Park Rangers and the police are normally called to assist the Wildlife Officers in situations involving potentially dangerous wildlife.


For More Information

To report large wildlife (such as deer) in traffic or residential areas


Animal Care & Control Dispatch

Edmonton Police Service

To request the pick up of a wild animal caught in a City trap



End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content