With direction from the City and two years of public consultation, an extensive list of LRT Design Guidelines for Sustainable Urban Integration (SUI) was established.
SUI looks beyond the building of tracks and trains to create neighbourhoods that are safe, attractive and connected. This involves designing livable, pedestrian-friendly environments and adding enhancements that reflect the feel and character of each of the communities along the LRT corridor.
Some examples of SUI enhancements include:
- Building shared-use pathways, sidewalks and trails
- Adding bike lanes that connect to the City’s existing bike lane network
- Designing pedestrian-friendly zones around stops and stations
- Using enhanced landscaping and streetscaping along the length of the corridor to create a more natural environment
- Incorporating organic materials such as stone and wood wherever possible