Skip to main content
Main page content begins here
The holiday season is filled with decorations, parties and presents — that often means a lot more waste.
In fact, the Edmonton Waste Management Centre receives almost twice the amount of waste at the end of December, as compared to the beginning of the month.
What Goes Where During the Holidays
Make sure your holiday waste goes to the right place. Use the WasteWise tool to find what goes where or download the free app for your mobile device.
Type the name of a waste material, and we'll tell you where it goes for recycling, composting or disposal.
Wondering what to do with your Christmas tree? Recycle it! Tree collection runs from January 11 to January 31, 2021.
What can be recycled? What goes to the Eco Station? What goes in the garbage? It's all here.
Give Waste-friendly Gifts
- Give experiences as gifts, like a gift card to a local restaurant or hair salon, a class at a local studio, or attractions passes
- Wrap gifts using reusable materials, like a scarf or a gift bag
- Buy quality items that can be used again and again
- Donate your time and skills as a gift
- Make a donation to a local charity
- Buy an annual subscription or membership to a streaming service
- By shopping local, you can reduce packaging waste
Decorate for Lasting Memories
Plan your Festive Feasts
- Plan to store and use your holiday leftovers
- Donate unopened treats to local charities
- Check your cupboards and plan your meals before grocery shopping so you don’t buy doubles
- Adjust recipes to suit the size of the smaller group you will be celebrating with
Recycle Right During the Holidays
Take old, unwanted electronics to an Eco Station - never put anything with a cord or battery in your blue bag
Wrapping paper (non-foil) and cardboard can go in your blue bag
Styrofoam packaging should go in the garbage
Waste Reduction Updates
Sign up to receive City of Edmonton waste reduction updates directly to your inbox.
Give stuff a second life. Residents are encouraged to reuse household items and reduce waste.
Edmonton's 20 community Recycling Depots are a convenient way to dispose of recyclables from your home.
Items such as broken Christmas lights, electronics and anything with a cord or battery should be taken to an Eco Station.