Main page content begins here

The City of Edmonton is aware that there is a lot of interest to open a cannabis retail store within the city. To ensure that applications are received and reviewed in an orderly and efficient manner, the City is using an alternative process to accept applications.

Expression of Interest

The City of Edmonton requires applicants to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) in order to participate in the Random Selection Process. This process will determine the order in which your permits and licence applications are received and reviewed by the City. 

The City of Edmonton will accept Expressions of Interest, from May 28, 2018 at 8am MST until 11:59pm MST on June 13, 2018, from applicants who want to open a Cannabis Retail Store.

The Expression of Interest period is scheduled to end one day after the proposed third reading of Charter Bylaw 18387, which is scheduled for June 12, 2018. If third reading of the Charter Bylaw 18387 is delayed, then the Expression of Interest period will be extended and everyone will be notified. Early or late entries will not be accepted.

There is no advantage to being the first to submit an Expression of Interest, so there is no need to rush, as long as it is submitted within the provided time frame.

The City’s intention is to provide a transparent, fair, unbiased and orderly process to allow as many business operators as possible to submit permits and licence applications. 

Interested operators who are unable to submit an Expression of Interest at this time will not be able to submit any permits or licence applications during this initial period of application acceptance and review. 

Depending on the volume of Expressions of Interest and applications submitted during the initial review period, the City anticipates that it would begin accepting future applications in late summer 2018 on a first-come, first-served basis. 

After this time, any applicant would be able to submit permits and licence applications at the Edmonton Service Centre on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Rules for Submitting an Expression of Interest
  1. Submissions received before or after the Expression of Interest period will not be entered into the Random Selection Process.
  2. One submission is required for each proposed location. 
  3. Only one submission will be accepted for each proposed location. 
    • If multiple submissions are received for a proposed location, all entries for this location will be disqualified.
  4. Incomplete submissions will not be entered into the Random Selection Process. 
  5. An Expression of Interest submitted for a location where the proposed zoning does not list Cannabis Retail Sales as a use will not qualify for the Random Selection Process, unless the City:
    • Has accepted a rezoning application to add the Cannabis Retail Sales use to a zone
    • Has received the required rezoning application fees
    • Has scheduled the rezoning application to advance to a City Council Land Use Public Hearing for a decision on or before June 25, 2018
  6. The applicant of the Expression of Interest must be the same person/corporation submitting the development permit application.
  7. You will be notified of your Random Selection Process submission number. 
  8. The results of the Expression of Interest and Random Selection Process only guarantees the applicant the order in which an application will be received and reviewed. It does not guarantee your location, any approvals, or when a decision will be made.
  9. The City of Edmonton assumes no responsibility or liability for email transmission failure or any other technical issue.
  10. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the City receives the Expression of Interest. 
How to Submit an Expression of Interest

Download the Expression of Interest form and fill it out completely. Make sure that you have the landowner’s permission and authorization to participate. You can also review this sample completed form

A completed Expression of Interest must be submitted to In-person submissions will not be accepted.

Random Selection Process 

The Random Selection Process will determine the order in which your permits and licence applications can be submitted to and reviewed by the City. 

This random selection process will be conducted by an independent third party to ensure there is no bias or perception of bias.  It will also help ensure fairness and transparency in the process.

The Random Selection Process is set to occur on June 20, 2018.

Once all submissions have been selected, the list of proposed locations and the order in which these applications will be submitted and reviewed will be made public, and each applicant will be notified.

The City of Edmonton will use the results of the Random Selection Process to schedule an appointment for each applicant to come to the Edmonton Service Centre, 2nd floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW, to submit their applications for permits and licences.

Appointments will start on June 25, 2018.

This ensures that the expected large number of applications will be submitted in an orderly manner, without having the applicant to be in line longer than necessary. At a minimum, a development permit application must be submitted at this time.

How to Submit Your Application

Each applicant from the Random Selection Process will be notified of their appointment to submit permits and/or licence applications. 

Each appointment is based on the specific location entered through the Expression of Interest. An applicant cannot submit applications for a location that is different than the one listed in the Expression of Interest. 

A Development Permit application must be submitted during this appointment. A Building Permit application and Business Licence application are optional.

Appointments will begin on June 25, 2018.

The City of Edmonton accepts a variety of payment options for your permits and licence application fees:

  • Cash
  • Personal and company cheques
  • Money Orders
  • Interac Debit payments
  • Credit Card (less than $5000 only)
  • Electronic Fund Transfer (recommended for more than $5000)

Missing Appointments/Missing Information

The City of Edmonton recognizes that the order generated by the Random Selection Process that will be used to determine which Development Permit applications are reviewed may be crucial to determining which locations could be operating. 

The City recommends and encourages that applicants participating in this process ensure they are able to attend their scheduled appointments and submit complete applications, because missing either could result in the loss of your place in the order.

Zoning Regulations

A draft land use framework was circulated for comment from stakeholders from February 23 to March 21, 2018. The draft framework includes proposed land use zones to allow cannabis retail sales and proposed separation distances between cannabis stores and other uses, such as schools and parks.

The City reviewed feedback from the circulation and made changes where needed to the framework and proposed Zoning Bylaw regulations. Read the What We Heard and What We Did Report: Cannabis Store Land Use Framework to see what changes were made and why they made.

You can review a property’s zoning through If you are interested in rezoning a property to permit cannabis retail use, please visit the City of Edmonton’s Rezoning webpage for more information about the process, timelines, and application requirements.

Building Permit Requirements
Commercial Final Permit Requirements
Alberta Gaming & Liquor Commission Requirements

In addition to City of Edmonton approvals, you are also required to obtain an Alberta Gaming & Liquor Commission (AGLC) retail cannabis store licence.

For more information, visit the AGLC cannabis website, their applying for a licence page, or review their handbook.

During the Application Submission Period

If an applicant misses their appointment or submits an incomplete application, then the applicant will lose his/her place in the order, until a new appointment can be made to submit the application, or the applicant submits the missing requested documents.


  • If Application #33 submits missing information on Day 5 to the Development Officer
  • If Day 5 ends with application #100 being accepted
  • Then Application #33 becomes Application #101
  • Then Application #101 becomes Application #102, Application #102 becomes Application 103, and so on

During the Application Review Period

If an applicant is notified that their application is missing information necessary to complete the technical review, then the applicant will have five (5) business days to submit this information to the City of Edmonton. If this information isn’t submitted within this period, the applicant will lose his/her place in the order until the missing information is provided.


  •  If Application #101 submits missing information 8 days after it’s been requested
  •  If The Development Officer had just completed the technical review on application #149
  •  Then Application #101 becomes Application #150
  •  Then Application #150 becomes Application #151, Application #151 becomes Application #152, and so on

Cancellation and or Refund Requests

There may be situations where two applications have been submitted for locations that are within the proposed separation distances.

If one location is approved, the other application will likely be refused. In these circumstances, a partial refund of your fee may be possible.


  • If Location A and Location B have submitted applications and Location B is within Location A’s separation distance
  • If Location A is ordered higher than Location B
  • If Location A is approved
  • Then Location B’s application would be refused
  • Then a partial refund of the development permit application fee may be possible if request to withdraw occurs before the first technical review

If you want to cancel your development permit application and/or request a refund for any reason, submit a completed Cancellation and/or Refund Request Form to the City of Edmonton. 

No refunds will be granted for development permit applications if technical review has commenced or if a decision has been made. Where the technical review has not commenced, $108, or 20% of the development permit fee, whichever is greater, will be retained for administration costs. 

No refunds will be granted if the applicant requests the City of Edmonton to deem the development permit application a refusal. 

Refunds for Building Permits will only be considered if this is applied for within 90 days of the permit being issued and if no construction has occurred. A sum of $108, or 20% of the permit fee, whichever is greater, will be retained for administration costs.

Business Licence application fees are non-refundable.

For More Information




End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content