Our city is enriched by the contributions of persons with disabilities. Our community is strengthened when everyone is included.
The Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC) provides advice and recommendations to Council about facilities and other infrastructure, programs, services, activities and policies. This aims to improve the City's livability, inclusiveness and accessibility for individuals with disabilities.
The Committee may:
- Identify and engage stakeholder groups and seek their input into the Committee's work.
- Conduct research and prepare reports on effective mitigation or modification strategies (for matters within the Committee's mandate) that would help individuals with disabilities to more fully participate in the community.
- Examine City information regarding current City facilities and infrastructure, programs, public services, activities and policies, to identify where they could create issues or barriers for individuals with disabilities. At the City Manager's request and where confidentiality issues permit, proposals can be examined as well.
- Work with the City Manager to develop and maintain a dialogue about matters of concern to individuals with disabilities.
- Assist Council and the City Manager to develop strategies, programs and policies to attract, recruit and retain individuals with disabilities as employees and to serve on Council's committees or initiatives.
- Participate in and support community events that raise awareness of inclusion and accessibility issues.
The committee meets on the second Monday of each month in the Heritage Room, City Hall from 4:30-6:30pm.
Members also participate on 1 of the subcommittees (1.5 hours in length), which meet once a month.
|Name of Appointee||First Appointed||Term|
|Councillor Andrew Knack||Dec 5/17||2017-2021 Council Term|
Name of Appointees
Term Expiry Date
|Chitra Bakshi||May 01/19||Apr 30/20|
|Kassi Boyd||May 01/19||Apr 30/20|
|Janet Davies-Davis||May 01/15||Apr 30/20|
|Jessica Ferguson||May 01/17||Apr 30/20|
|Crystal Jones||May 01/16||Apr 30/20|
|Sheri Klassen||May 01/19||Apr 30/20|
|Tonia LaRiviere (Vice-Chair)||May 01/18||Apr 30/20|
|Rinita Mazumder||May 01/18||Apr 30/20|
|Christopher Minchau (Vice-Chair)||May 01/16||Apr 30/20|
|Mark Orbell||May 01/16||Apr 30/20|
|Jason Pisesky (Chair)||May 01/16||Apr 30/20|
|Paige Reeves||May 01/17||Apr 30/20|
|Tracey Rice||May 01/19||Apr 30/20|
|Vanessa Van||May 01/15||Apr 30/20|
|Zachary Weeks||Mar 20/13||Apr 30/20|
Accessibility and Design
Policies and Bylaws
ABSPD Mandate (2012-2013)