We appreciate that Edmontonians have shown their community spirit by mowing grassy areas that had reduced maintenance and service levels this year. We understand that people want to use green spaces and sports fields, especially at this time of year, however the City does not encourage Edmontonians to mow City-owned parks.
Please stay safe while doing any yard or turf maintenance. When operating a mower, follow these tips:
- Read, understand and follow the manufacturer's instructions before using a power tool
- Inspect equipment before use to make sure that it is in good working order and safety guards are in place
- Keep children and pets away from the mowing area, and never allow children to operate or ride a lawnmower
- Ensure familiarity with the operation of the mower and inspecting it before use
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (long pants, safety glasses, close-fitting clothes and non-slip safety toe footwear)
- Assess the hazards in the area before you mow (for example, removing rocks and making sure people and pets are not in the mowing area
- More mowing tips are available from Health Canada
Please note there is no mowing or maintenance in planned naturalization areas. You can view a map of naturalization sites at edmonton.ca/naturalization.