Edmonton’s new adaptable Downtown Bike Network offers over 7.8 km of protected bike lanes, shared roadways, and paths to help and inspire Edmontonians of all ages to try new ways travelling to get around Downtown.
Watch for new markings on the road, signs, and signals at intersections to safely navigate the Network.
Some Helpful Tips for all Road Users
In your car:
- Look both directions, and shoulder check before turning
- Watch out for the new signs indicating changes to turning rules
- Yield to bikes when crossing the bike lane and pedestrians in crosswalks
On your bike:
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
- Watch out for new signs indicating how to safely turn at intersections.
- Not sure how to navigate the Network? Dismount onto the sidewalk and observe what others are doing.
On your feet:
- Watch for turning vehicles entering and exiting accessways
- When crossing the bike lane to get to a parked vehicle, yield to people on bikes
See green? Watch out for each other.
Green paint on the roadway marks areas where drivers and cyclists could cross paths. Be aware and take care when crossing. Traveling slower along the Downtown Bike Network will give you time to see and respond to all the new features.