City of Edmonton Supports
The City of Edmonton supports Community Gardens by:
- Supporting Sustainable Food Edmonton
- Making municipal land available for community gardens
- Supporting Urban Agriculture in Edmonton, with amendments to zoning bylaws including:
- Establishing 3 new land use classes - Urban Outdoor Farms, Urban Indoor Farms, and Urban Gardens. These new land use classes officially create a place for urban agriculture and distinguish it from related activities, such as conventional farming, greenhouses, plant nurseries and garden centres. Community Gardens are classified as Urban Gardens.
- Excluding gardening for personal use from requiring a development permit.
- Excluding community gardens from requiring a development permit on City Parkland. Note that in some cases, gardens will require a development permit, for example, if amenities such as water lines, fixed benches/picnic tables or large sheds are planned for the site.