The City and regional transit partners have been working collaboratively with the participating U-Pass Students’ Associations since the end of June. Due to the majority of classes being offered online, all 10 parties agreed that fall U-Passes will not be issued.
COVID-19 has presented unique financial challenges for everyone, and the suspension of the fall U-Pass is a temporary adjustment due to the pandemic. The U-Pass Program is a regional program, not simply a City of Edmonton program.
On August 19, in order to provide students with discounted transit fare options, ETS made recommendations to Edmonton City Council. Council approved the temporary expansion of eligibility to the Ride Transit Program for post-secondary students from September 1 to December 31, 2020.
- This program has 2 tiers (a sliding scale) and is based on an individual’s personal income. Personal income can be proven through a Notice of Assessment (NOA), Employment Insurance (EI) document or CERB document
- Students will need to apply through the Leisure Access Program
- If a student is 18+, and earns less than $29,069, they may qualify for a $34/month pass
- If a student is 18+, and earns between $29,070 and $33,033, they may qualify for a $48.50/month pass
- International students are also eligible to apply for the Ride Transit Program
- If a student is under 18, there is a process to apply for the program which involves filling out a Release of Information and Responsibility Form. This release, accompanied by approved income documentation, will allow these students to apply for Ride Transit
Note: For context, a U-Pass costs approximately $45/month.
Note: Students who are considered a dependent (their parents/guardians claim them on their taxes as a dependent) would have to include their parents/guardians income on their application, so they may not qualify for the Ride Transit Program.
We will do our best to process Ride Transit applications as quickly as we can. We will continue to work closely with the U-pass institutions to ensure this process is working smoothly.