Sisters in Spirit Day (October 4) is a day to honour the lives of missing and murdered Indigenous women, girls and gender diverse people, support grieving families and loved ones, and create opportunities for healing. Vigils and community events are organized and held across Canada, often including a ceremony and walk-in commemoration.
Sisters in Spirit Community Vigils and Events
If you are interested in hosting a community vigil or event, register to receive a Vigil Kit (Balloons, flags and pins) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of your organization/community/group and your mailing address.
Other ways to show support:
- Lighting a candle and placing it in a home window this evening.
- Updating profile pictures/avatar to a commemorative graphic.
- Sisters in Spirit Vigil image for public use (courtesy: Native Women’s Association of Canada)
- Download and print these heart images and write a message of strength, hope, and memorial to honour and celebrate Indigenous women, girls, and Two Spirit people on it. Share your hearts on social media using #SISVigils, #MMIWG and tag @NWAC_CA or mention Native Women’s Association of Canada.
- Red heart or White heart (courtesy: Native Women’s Association of Canada)