To protect the environment, spills should be stopped, cleaned up appropriately and reported to the correct authorities.
Call 9-1-1 if the spill is:
- an emergency; or
- not contained; or
- uncontrolled; or
- if you are unsure about the risks.
Call the Alberta Environmental Hotline 1-800-222-6514:
- to report a release of a substance into the environment that may cause, is causing or has caused an adverse effect; or
- if the spill has happened in the past and you want to ensure appropriate cleanup of the land.
Call 3-1-1 for general inquiries or if the spill is:
- on the roadway; or
- entering or in the river or pond; or
- entering the sewer system, a manhole or a catch basin; or
- if you observe dumping on private property; or
- if you observe a truck dumping fluids.
Submit a written report to Fire Prevention within 24 hours if the spill or leak comes from a storage tank system or containers (not in transport) that are greater than 50 L.
- If you are a contractor,
please see Contractor Environmental Responsibilities.
- If you are a City of Edmonton employee,
refer to the City procedures on the Intranet site.