The City of Edmonton is guided by four transformational goals, including climate resilience. Being a climate resilient city includes protecting Edmonton’s natural environment and minimizing our environmental impact.
To minimize the environmental impact of daily living, the City has committed to sustainable waste management practices. Edmonton has a goal of 90% waste diversion from landfill. In September 2019, City Council approved a 25-year Waste Strategy that will help us reach this goal.
We’re bringing Edmonton into alignment with internationally-recognized best practices by putting more emphasis on the entire waste management hierarchy, with prevention of waste as the best option.
In spring 2020, citywide rollout of a source-separated organics (green cart) program will begin for single -unit residences. This will help Edmontonians keep more of their waste out of the landfill and turn it into a valuable resource. More information will be available in early 2020.
Learn more about the 25-year Waste Strategy at edmonton.ca/futureofwaste.
Here are some waste reduction tips from the Change Habits For Climate Guide:
- Go bagless when mowing your lawn. Remove the bag from your lawn mower and leave the clippings on the lawn.
- Reduce and avoid waste. See the chapter on Sustainable Purchasing.
- Bring your own reusable bags and cup
- Check out the to find an organization that will accept your unwanted items
- Bring your small items (such as wrapping paper and school supplies) to the Reuse Centre where they will be made available to organizations and individuals for reuse
- Bring large items that are in good condition to the Reuse Areas at the Ambleside or Kennedale Eco Station where they will be available for others to pick up
- Recycle right! Learn what items can be recycled by using the WasteWise app. Download it or use it online at edmonton.ca/waste.
- Compost at home. The City has lots of resources to help you get started.
- Use an Eco Station to dispose of household hazardous waste, electrical items and big bulky items
For more details on these and other tips, check out the Waste section of the Change Habits For Climate Guide.