The Ward Boundary Commission is a temporary Committee of Council.
This Commission, the first in the City’s history, will undertake a review of Edmonton’s current electoral ward boundaries, comprehensively evaluating the existing ward structure and making subsequent recommendations to City Council. The number of wards is not within the scope of the Commission’s work and will remain at 12.
In addition, the Commission will review Council’s existing Ward Boundary Design Policy C469A and provide recommendations to guide future ward boundary amendments.
The Commission will be comprised of Edmonton residents who represent a number of perspectives in related fields, including political science, public policy, and urban planning. The City’s Returning Officer (the City Clerk) will be an ex officio non-voting member of the Commission, responsible for providing advice and administrative support.
The Commission will be disbanded and Ward Boundary Commission Bylaw will be repealed following either the submission of the required report and recommendations, or by June 1, 2020, whichever occurs first.
The Ward Boundary Commission performs these functions:
- Reviews the existing Ward Boundary Bylaw
- Reviews Council’s Ward Boundary Design Policy, C469A
- Consults with all Councillors and each school board operating in the City
- Conducts public engagement sessions
- Provides a written report to Council with recommendations regarding new boundaries without increasing or decreasing the number of wards, including a summary of feedback gathered
- Provides a written report to Council with recommendations regarding the criteria and procedure for future ward boundary amendments, including a summary of feedback gathered
Ward Boundary Commission meetings are open for members of the public to attend. The Commission's orientation meeting was held on September 16, 2019, from 5:30-7:30pm at City Hall, followed by its second meeting, also at City Hall, on September 30, 2019 from 5:30-7:30pm.
The Commission and board administration are finalizing the future meeting schedule.
February 26, 2020:
January 29, 2020:
December 18, 2019:
November 26, 2019:
November 5, 2019:
September 30, 2019:
September 16, 2019 - Orientation Meeting:
|Name of Appointees
|Sean Lee (Vice-Chair)
|Jared Wesley (Chair)
The City of Edmonton Returning Officer - non-voting