The Hired & Capital Fleet purchases, leases and rents vehicles and construction equipment to supplement the City's own fleet and resources. We also acquire construction materials as needed.

The short-term acquisition of construction equipment may be with or without skilled operators. Although we contract for most equipment and materials on a tendered basis, some equipment is acquired on a rotational basis.

How is tendering conducted?

To find out some general details on how we tender, please see our Tendering page.

The City awards tendered business to the lowest priced, best qualified bidder(s). Expected vendor qualifications and equipment/material specifications will be defined in the tendering document, and subsequently contained in the contract to reflect the vendor's commitment to meeting the City's requirements. Some examples of items that may be evaluated during the tendering process include: condition and availability of equipment or material, level of skill, service history, experience, references and price.

What kinds of equipment or materials are we talking about?

We purchase all City capital fleet requirements and contract for all ad hoc hired equipment (operated or non-operated equipment) requirements; for each of our City departments. Depending on the department, these requirements may include: motor graders, back hoe tractors, pumps, heaters, water trucks, fire trucks, pick-up trucks, dump trucks, refuse trucks, street sweepers, passenger vehicles, and much more. As far as the materials we buy, they are things like aggregates, fencing, and temporary structures.

Will there be an opportunity to provide feedback on tender specifications or contract terms and conditions prior to the closing date?

Yes. The tendering document will indicate a specific contact name and a window of time for vendors to provide feedback and receive clarification on your questions about our tender.

How do I get paid?

For capital fleet purchases, the City pays the agreed to price upon receipt of your invoice, on a N/30 basis.

For hired equipment requirements, we pay on a weekly basis through our Service Sheet / Evaluated Receipt Settlement method. Service sheets are City printed forms, completed daily by you and then signed by both you and us. This sheet captures your daily work effort, is agreed to by you and us via the signatures, and then we use that sheet to pay you the contracted rates already established (tendered or rotational). No invoice is required for these transactions.

Will a business licence be required to do work for the City?
A City bylaw has established that a business licence is required by all businesses doing business within the City boundaries. You can find out more by going to the Business Licences webpage.
Why does the City accept bids from out-of-town contractors?

The City of Edmonton's procurement practices are guided by the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA), a federal and provincial trade agreement aimed at reducing and eliminating trade barriers across Canada. This agreement's goal is to have people, goods, services and investments move freely across the country. Thus, the criteria for awarding contracts must not include any "local preference."