Clean Air Day 2020
Clean Air Day always falls on the Wednesday of Environment Week. This year, we'll be celebrating it on June 3.
Air Quality Light Bulb Tool
For Clean Air Day 2018, the City of Edmonton launched the Air Quality Light Bulb Tool - an innovative digital platform that displays Edmonton’s current air quality. Citizens can use the tool to connect to a wifi enabled light bulb and receive notifications when Edmonton's air quality changes, as reported through the Air Quality Health Index (AQHI). To learn more about the tool and to download the free app, visit the Smart Cities Challenge website.
See the light bulb in action! This impressive art installation has been in eight different public locations since June 6, 2018 and will back in the lobby of Edmonton Tower for the month of June (2019) before moving on to various locations around the city for the next year. Contact us if you would like to host the lamp at your public facility.
Clean air is something we should be working towards every day. Here are some tips on how you can support clean air:
- Learn more about air quality in Edmonton
- Be informed about the air quality in Edmonton by checking the Air Quality Health Index (AQHI)
- Be Idle Free - Idling your vehicle not only wastes gasoline (and therefore, money), it also causes needless pollution and can be damaging to your vehicle. Protect your wallet and your health - be aware of your idling habits.
- Traffic can be a big headache. Lessen the traffic by using alternative modes of transportation. Walk, bike or try taking Edmonton Transit instead of driving. Edmonton Transit is committed to offering environmentally-friendly transportation. Just one bus can replace about 50 private cars on the road!
- Plant a tree in your community
- Learn about how you can contribute to improving at home, school and work.
- Encourage your organization to become a member of the .
- Participate in Wheel Week, June 2-8, by cycling, rollerblading, scootering or skateboarding to your destination! Register with SHAPE Alberta.
Get more environmentally friendly tips!