John Janzen Nature Centre provides opportunities for self-guided visits, for both individuals and for groups. Self-guided activities and drop-in programs are available for individual and group visitors of all ages!
- Explore the Exhibit Room, featuring Seasonal Change exhibits and activities.
- Visit the Tegler Discovery Zone (kids up to 10 yrs). Based on attendance, staff may limit access to the play space.
- TDZ Scavenger hunt sheets (available at Guest Services)
- View our Honeybee Hive (spring – fall), to see bees busy at work!
- Adventure Backpacks. Backpacks contain a variety of fun and educational self- guided activities that are best suited to families or small groups. Available for sign-out at the front desk.
- Compost ‘S cool - Information about composting and demonstrations of different types and sizes of composters available for your home and yard.
- Explore the Exhibit Room, featuring Seasonal Changes exhibit and activities.
- Native Plant Demonstration Garden. View examples of wildflowers and native plant species in season (spring – fall). Garden is maintained by the Edmonton Naturalization Group.
- Nature Walks - Individuals and groups can enjoy walking along The Birch Tree Trail and River Loop Trail.
- Pond dipping. Visitors can look for aquatic creatures living in our pond. Dip nets, ID sheets, and buckets are available for borrowing from an Exhibit Room interpreter or from Guest Services. Be kind to our wildlife - please do not catch frogs/tadpoles from our pond, and return all living creatures to our pond when you are done.
- Urban BioKits - Biokits are a colourful workbook full of engaging activities designed to help new Canadian families and others explore the wonders of Edmonton's nature. Created by the Office of Biodiversity, they are available in English and French. Available at Guest Services.
- Wildflowers of Edmonton and Central Alberta ID guides. Borrow one of our pocket guides for your next self-guided walk on our trails. Available for sign-out at the front desk.
If you are interested in visiting the John Janzen Nature Centre with your group, please book a self-guided visit by calling 311 (outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311).
Please note that a self-guided visit means you are visiting with your group (for example, daycare, club, youth group or classroom) without a nature centre staff person facilitating a program for you.
If there are public drop-in programs occurring the day of your visit you are welcome to participate but please respect that other drop-in visitors will be taking part as well.
Regular admission rates apply.