Walkability adds strength and enjoyment to the fabric of community life. While out walking, we meet our neighbours, get some exercise, visit local shops, and enjoy public spaces. We also become the "eyes on the street" that enhance safety and reduce crime.
What is Walk Edmonton?
It is an initiative that:
- Develops and shares maps and resources to promote walking.
- Works with Community partners to organize local walking events such as Jane's Walk and Winter Walk Day.
- Provides ideas on where to walk in Edmonton and walking groups.
- Works with SHAPE - Provincial Walk to School organization to promote and engage Edmonton schools in walk to school programs.
- Administers the Edmonton & Area Active Transportation Network.
- Communicates information about walkability through our eNewsletter Taking Steps.