Main page content begins here

Since 2015, fatalities have decreased by 56% and serious injuries have declined by 30%.

Detailed collision data is available on Edmonton’s Open Data Portal. Starting in 2019, this is where collision statistics can be found.

How Data Increases Safety

To reach the long-term goal of eliminating traffic fatalities and serious injuries, it’s critical to know where, when and how crashes happen. The City of Edmonton puts measures into place and will monitor the results. This evidence-based approach shows what is working and what can be done better. 

Crash causes are identified through analyzing Edmonton Police Service collision reports. 

How Data Increases Equity

An equity analysis used 311 and census data to look at who is most exposed to crashes based on where they live. This showed us that some communities are exposed to more crashes than others. Knowing this will help us prioritize our work to ensure that the areas that need the most attention get it first. Full results can be found in the Crash and Equity Analyses report.

High Injury Network

Crash Data from 2015-2019, helped us to identify a High Injury Network - corridors where the most serious and fatal injury crashes are happening.

We can use this information to help determine who is most impacted by these crashes, and to prioritize our work.

Top Causes of Crashes

The City prioritizes traffic safety initiatives based on the top causes of serious and fatal collisions in Edmonton. From 2015-2019, the top five causes of serious and fatal crashes in Edmonton were:

  • Tailgating (following too closely)
  • Turning left across the path of another vehicle
  • Not yielding to a pedestrian
  • Failure to observe traffic signal
  • Losing control and driving off the road

Collisions Involving Vulnerable Road Users

Collisions Involving Pedestrians
  • Injuries and Fatalities
    There were 3 pedestrians killed in 2019 compared to 6 in 2018.  235 pedestrians were injured in 2019:
    • 175 minor injuries compared to 188 in 2018
    • 60 serious injuries compared to 63 in 2018
  • Trends
    Collisions involving pedestrians were reduced by 30% from 2015 to 2019.
  • Causes of Collisions
    Pedestrians crossing the road with the right of way - either at a marked crosswalk, an unmarked crossing at an intersection, or at a signalized intersection with a walk sign - made up 66.4% (158) of all pedestrian fatalities and injuries in 2019.
  • Seasonal Trends
    The month with the highest number of collisions involving pedestrians is October (29) and the lowest in May (10); traffic safety experts connect this in part to reduced daylight hours during peak travel times.
Collisions Involving Cyclists
  • Injuries and Fatalities
    In 2019 there were 130 collisions involving cyclists and no fatalities, however, 110 cyclists were injured: 
    • 88 minor injuries compared to 92 in 2018
    • 22 serious injuries compared to 20 in 2018
  • Causes of Collisions
    Of the 110 cyclists involved in an injury collision, 70.9% (78) were deemed to be not at fault. Cyclists who were deemed to have committed errors or violations made up the other 29.1% (32).
Collisions Involving Motorcyclists
  • Collisions
    The number of collisions involving motorcyclists in 2019 decreased 27.3% to 104 collisions compared to 143 collisions in 2018.
  • Injuries and Fatalities
    The number of motorcyclists injured decreased by 34.8% to 58, with 42 minor injuries and 16 serious injuries. There were 3 motorcyclist fatalities in 2019, a decrease of 25.0% from 2018 (4).
  • Causes of Collisions
    Motorcyclists who were driving properly and deemed not at fault made up 47.5% (29) of motorcyclist fatalities or injuries. The remaining 52.5% (32) of fatalities and injuries occurred in collisions where the motorcyclist was deemed to be at fault, including ran off-road collisions which resulted in 16.4% (10) of all motorcyclist fatalities and injuries.
  • Seasonal Trends
    The highest month for fatal or injury collisions is July (23.3%, 14 collisions).
  • Day of Week
    Patterns show incidents are higher on Sunday, followed by Thursday and Friday and late afternoon.

2019 Collisions 

Injuries and Fatalities

  • 2,080 collisions that resulted in injury or fatality, a decrease of 20.9% from 2018
  • 2,301 minor injuries
  • 268 serious injuries
  • 14 fatalities: 7 drivers, 1 passenger, 3 pedestrians, 3 motorcyclists

Total Collisions

  • 21,943 collisions, a decrease of 8.6% from 2018
  • 22.1 collisions per 1,000 population, a decrease of 10.4% from 2018 levels (24.7)

Historical Collision Data

2018 Report

Motor Vehicle Collisions 2018
2018 Collision Statistics Summary

2017 Report

Motor Vehicle Collisions 2017

2016 Report

Motor Vehicle Collisions 2016

2015 Report

Motor Vehicle Collisions 2015

For previous collision reports, please contact Traffic Safety.

Read our Annual Report and learn about the progress Vision Zero is making to eliminate traffic fatalities and serious injuries.

Vision Zero requires we all make safety a priority and ensure that the choices we make on our roads do not result in serious injuries or death.

For More Information

311 Contact Centre

Online Contact 311 Online

In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

TTY 780-944-5555

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content